Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Avensis 99 Gear Oil

Options
  • 08-07-2022 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I have a 1.6 petrol Toyota Avensis registered in 99. How often should the gearbox oil be replaced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭greasepalm

The only time we changed oil was when the gearbox got an overhaul.

Whats your driving like here and there as cannot think you are rally driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I used to change mine every year when I had a 99 Avensis, mine was a diesel but I would still try and keep the oil fresh.

They don't hold a great deal and its a simple affair to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

I only drive about 7000 miles a year. But I would still like to keep it in good condition.

Out of curiosity. I always used Toyota engine oil and filter when changing the engine oil. This year I used same spec oil but not Toyota oil or filter. It is considerably cheaper. Is this a good/bad idea.

My driving is mostly short journeys and very steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

On a 23 year old Car this is a very good idea......Remember, Toyota do not manufacture either Oil or Oil Filters. As long as the specifications are similar it makes no sense to pay more money for what is essentially the same thing.

• Advertisement

It is MGM oil I think. Same spec. When I change filter again I will open the filter to see if there is any visible difference.

Advertisement