Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday gift for child’s classmate

Options
  • 08-07-2022 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

My son’s in Jnr Infants and has been invited to a classmate’s party. He would class the child as one of his friends.

This is our first class party so just wondering what the price norm is for gifts/ money?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

In all of my kid's classes, a suggestion is put forward at the start of the year that a fiver in a card from every child attending a party should be the birthday present norm.

So far it has been accepted by most parents as a good idea.In fact this year, each of mine got money to go buy themselves something, as they could all have parties this year, and they were delighted.

Suggest you propose this.If not, 15eur max on a gift is plenty.More than plenty.

• Administrators Posts: 13,860 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

We've all agreed on the fiver in a card too. It just takes ones person to suggest it, and everyone else readily agrees!

It takes the pressure off parents, and it stops the birthday child's house getting full of "stuff" that they may or my not like (or already have).

Agree with shesty though if you're going to buy a present no more than €10-€15. Could be a little parcel of new football, packet of sweets, dinky cars, water gun!

Board games are a favourite in this house, but not every child will appreciate them! Actually Dobble is a great card game. Very easy and fun for children and young children especially seem to be excellent at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

We agreed fiver in the card too.

A few birthdays into it , it was my child's birthday...while we did get the odd fiver, we also got tenners ,15 and even a few 20's .....I was absolutely mortified.

Now I give 10 or 15 depending on how close pals they are.

I prefer to give cash rather than cheap plastic tat, unless you know what the child is into.

Advertisement