Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is the 20 year limit on classic insurance across the board?

Options
  • 07-07-2022 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

Hi all - It's been answered before, but the search function here is very very broken....

Does the 20 year limit on classic insurance apply across the board, or does anyone know if some insures are open to discussion based on the car itself?

Have my eye on an 05 car, that would be a toy/summer car doing limited mileage - Not being able to apply my NCB to that car and starting again from scratch would make insurance not worth it.

What options have I to insure a second car with a mileage limit? Partner already has an 05 in her name, so that's not an option.

Sticking it in the shed for a couple of years is another option of course, but thats no craic....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kdevitt

No, far from it. 20 seems to be the bare minimum now - Autoline used to insure Porsches from 10 years of age though, not sure if they still do. Some cars, especially jap stuff, is heading towards having to be 30 years of age.

My brother hasn't been able to get any classic quotes on a 19 year old BMW convertible - so a 17 years old car might be a big ask. Some companies might mirror your NCB though and you could insure it on a standard policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Yeah, I think it is actually 30 years.

I had a bike reclassified at 30 years as vintage/veteran.

Was not available before that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭RINO87

Oh ya 30 years for the vintage tax alright, but some insures like autoline and Carole Nash used to offer classic insurance on some cars at 20, provided it's not your main vehicle and mileage is limited

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kdevitt

First Ireland used to cover cars from 15 years of age - but it’s been creeping upwards. Plenty of lads ripping the piss - having a Yaris on their main policy and then a Skyline on the ‘classic’ policy, which ends up being the daily driver rather than a weekend toy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

So my policy allows me to add cars that are 15 years or older, as I already have a policy. However, most "new" policies are 20 years plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

PMPA

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Theres no rhyme or reason to this stuff so no point in talking about 15, 20 or 30 year limits. It all varies across the board and even within insurance companies it seems to be changing monthly....

First Ireland used to cover my e36 on a classic when it turned 15. But the 15 is more to do with the make and model than the fact its 15. Other cars can be far older but equally deserving of classic status and they will laugh you out of town if you inquire about them. I once tried to get a Volvo v90 wagon on a classic policy, 20+ years old at the time and was told either "Its not really a classic" or "the underwriters dont have it on their list"

You would want to ring around the classic insurers with the reg of that 05 car before you consider buying, if it doesnt fit the bill as to what they deem "a classic" you'll may leave it in the shed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

I am driving a 14 year old (2008 year) weekend car. I have zero no claims but named driver experience on another car. To get it "cheap" I restricted driving to max 5000km, parked on drive, no commuting to work, have another daily driver. It's a performance car and year one it's 1400 euro. It's a performance car and I had trouble even getting quotes. I end up with two separate no claims bonuses, one on each car. So it can be done, just beware it may be far cheaper to drive something much older. Some owners put cars into a barn and get them going when they have the cheap tax, think old mercs and gas gussling BMW's with high tax. They are impractical to tax all year long. Many also only tax for 3 summer months and declare off the road for 9 months a year. Per drive even classics are relatively expensive when you take into account basic servicing and repairs. Some insurers offer no claims bonus mirroring, but I could not get it. There is a separate insurance section under motors so put up details there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement