Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going rate for a room in Clondalkin

Options
  • 07-07-2022 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Im interested in letting a room in my home Im looking at how much to charge. I want to include utilities in price aswell as internet, they also would have their own private bathroom. Looking at Daft today there are only 12 rooms available in the area so i cant get a good idea of a fair price to charge. Could someone please advise - Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I would advise against including utilities, it's licence to take the proverbial. Immersion, fan heaters etc run up bills fast and if there's no financial repercussions for the licensee then why would they care.

Look at the prices of those 12 rooms, and factor in pluses or minuses relative to your room. 12 is more than enough to guide you.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

If you're charging 7/800e a month your ESB/heating costs will be well covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The ESB costs would have to be taken out of it meaning the o/p would have less for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

A not insignificant sum! Would you pick up a €50 note if it fell?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

A friend has been renting a room in her house for years. She charges a monthly rent including bills. Said it was too messy trying to get money out of people for each bill.

You get "well I was on holidays for two weeks" etc ..trying to wriggle out of paying

Normally I would agree to include bills - but I would be concerned about including energy bills now given the uncertainty of electricity and gas prices at the moment with promises of more substantial increases to come this winter.

Internet is fine, as its usually a fixed cost - but if electricity and/or gas heating is all inclusive, what is to stop your licensee from running the heating 24 hours a day and running the bill up to high heaven? Licensee with an electric heater in their room you don't know they leave on all night? (this happened to my brother who lets rooms in his house)

I'm not telling you not to include bills, just be cautious and think about it. If energy bills are separate, it might make your licensee a little more conscious of the amount of energy they are using and the costs involved if they have to pay a percentage of the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jaysus_1984

If its a 3 bed house, with a gas boiler, 800-900 should be fine. That covers ~70% of mortgage payment, plus approx 100 eur for utilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gmaximum

Your tenant is a licensee, you can do as you see fit. Rent the room out with bills included, if they take the piss with heaters etc or energy costs rise you can increase the rent

• Advertisement
Advertisement