If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Hydraulic hinges, kitchen cupboards

  • 06-07-2022 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,696 ✭✭✭✭

    I'm fairly sure this isn't really the correct section for this query, so if anyone can either answer or point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.....

    I have two eye-level cupboards in my kitchen that open out and up vertically, they have hydraulic hinges that are shot, so they won't stay open.

    I want to get the hinges replaced.

    Unless it's literally a matter of screwing in new ones (I suspect it's more complicated than that), I can't do this job myself.

    Can anyone tell me who should I look for to do this job?? Carpenter? Kitchen fitter? General handyman?



  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

  • Registered Users Posts: 27,696 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

    This is one of the actual hinges

    Don't know why it's posting sideways, I've tried correcting it but can't - rotate to the right for the proper view.

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

    That ram might just pop off as its on a ball joints. If so you might find you can get a replacement ram. If you check all the ones you can find on line you will probably find one the same size. When you get down to it there is a massive amount of standarisation.

    Wake me up when it's all over.

  • Registered Users Posts: 27,696 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

    Unfortunately I don't even really know what any of that means!

    Plus, the doors are very heavy, I'd be afraid of braining myself if I tried to take the hinges off by myself.

    I'm happy to pay someone to do the job, but just don't know where I should be looking.....

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

    NO you don't take the hinges off. Those ram things are on a ball joint at either end. If you open the door you can measure the length of the ram fully extended and the length of the ram close. Then on Amazon etc see if any are the same size for example

    Your not interested in anything other than the ram bit as you have the other bits already.

    The old ram should just lever off with a screw driver under each end (one at a time) then you can press a new one into place.

    Its a risk the ball joints might be different sizes but as I said there is so much standardisation now a days that chances are they will be the same.

    It really is a fiddly job but needs a bit of common sense. A carpenter or anyone that fits kitchens should be able to do it but I can't imagine it would be cheap when they have to mess around and find the fittings. However I may be wrong and those rams might be a common thing to fail and easy to find and replace.

    Wake me up when it's all over.

  • Advertisement