Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you get to see the Dublin metro?

Options
  • 05-07-2022 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭

Eamon Ryan says the Dublin metro will start construction in 2025 and be complete in the "early 2030's", no less.

Are you looking forward to riding the metro?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

My theoretical great grand children may live long enough to see it.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

But it is greatly needed, no city can ever aspire to greatness without a decent metro system.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Pity they didn't have the foresight to build a comprehensive Metro instead of the LUAS all those years ago. 3 or 4 lines or whatever to cover most Dublin suburbs and plenty of stations in the city. This is not hindsight as i said so at the time. The LUAS was never the answer it adds to the citys traffic chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I hope they get the security right on the Metro. Otherwise a metro line going through North Dublin could make the Luas Red Line look like a rail tour.

Also, didn't a Chinese company offer to build a metro system for Dublin for free one time, on the basis that they keep the profits?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yeah if they’d just have committed to four Metro lines it would have been better and just built them as funding was available but sure they’d probably have just made a bôllocks of that too.

a light rail system traveling over a combined 55 kilometres of track daily in a city and county with the potential and probability of being populated with in time 1.5 - 2 million people …..

the Metro should have been given priority and the Luas followed up as an add on service.

the Luas like the metro, did we or the government learn nothing… €288 million was the budgeted and projected cost in 1997 to €675 million at its completion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Knowing Ireland as well as we do.....this project will cost €1 trillion euro to complete.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm 51 now any will be amazed if the new metro is up and running before I get free travel or even in my life time. When I bought my house in west dublin in 2001 metro west was all the rage. 20 years later, nothing. Metro north if it does start will be mired in controversy, take much longer to build and emd up many multiples of the cost estimates being touted. Also likely if it does start of will be curtailed for cost saving reasons and be a half arsed attempt at a proper system

Post edited by Pinch Flat on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The worse part is that they are curtailing the Metro to Stephen's Green instead of converting a lot of the Green line like planned because some NIMBYs would have had to drive a bit further to access their houses, inconvenience thousands to appease a few people!!

Not that it matters as the Metro will be running on Fusion power, both have been 10 years away most of my adult life and I think I'll die before I see either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Irish times has an article on this history of it so far. All the times it's been announced and cancelled. https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/dublin/2022/07/05/a-history-of-the-metro-project-that-never-was/

Half a dozen transport ministers have had a go at announcing its development, starting with Mary O’Rourke in 2000. In 2002, the late Séamus Brennan put a date on its completion, “guaranteeing” the line would open in 2007. It didn’t, obviously.

I honestly doubt they'll start building it the lifetimes of anyone reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

What many people don't realise is that people along the proposed loop have been already told their properties will be compulsory bought. It puts them in a very awkward position. Nobody wants to buy them as they know they will have to move once it kicks off. People don't want to spend money on the property as it will be wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ironic them doing that considering how much they despise high quality public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

The legal system is highly involved, so no it won't be complete by 2035. Legal issues will be invented, and those issues will be merrily (and shamelessly) milked for cash.

Also it will be a gravy train. Certain people will be incentivized to keep it delayed. That has to happen, there's no way to stop the grift. Giant parasite magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Does ANYONE in the country think this will ever happen?

They will spend approximately 30 million over next 4 years "planning" before it is abandoned.

If I am wrong I will eat this phone

By virtue of what’s been spent already I think it has to happen…

what won’t happen for decades is the next line. It won’t even be spoken about until after 2035 according to the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭its_steve116

It's a long time coming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Wager we will see small scale Nuclear here before this. Even If we tried prob what 1 trillion to build if the hospital is anything to go by. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Remember the govt printer.

Who was fired?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

we will all be long gone (i.e. dead) before a proper metro materialises in Dublin

Probably, just going to be kicked from decade to decade….

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Tbh, there's more chance of me paying to use the Luas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

By the time this actually happen transporters or portal travel will be a reality and make it completely redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

How is it so **** difficult to build a subway system? They've been a thing for over a century. Presumably at this stage, machinery and technology to dig out tunnels is fairly straightforward.

Absolute jokeshop. The actual construction could probably be done in a couple of years if that wanted.

Port Tunnel ..

was first proposed in the early 1990’s.

DCC approved it in 1996

Opened at the end of 2006

……….

Metro ..

Proposed in 2005

Current completion date is 2035

a third of a century to make a single metro line happen. A single line.

………..

dublin airports second runway ?…

Years and years… don’t know when it got the go ahead but planning itself granted in 2007.. so 15 plus years to build a fückin runway….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The junkies will get to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I will be in early 40s but I don't think any city can compete with the charm of the London underground. I have holidayed in London for the sole purpose of riding around on the underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

yeh how will I see it if it is underground. Seriously though, I shouldn’t think so as I expect to be very old indeed. And I’m a young man

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

I presume you'll be tendering for the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Patlanta

What are you 5 years old or something? So you can't criticise the ridiculous delays on Dublin Metro or the crazy Children's Hospital overspend or the fact that there's no motorway between the Republic's second and third cities without being able to tender for the projects, eh? FFS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

It's embarrassing, and one of the first things you notice every time you return to Ireland through Dublin or Cork. Even regional cities across Europe (Hannover, Valencia, Porto, Bilbao etc.) have metro systems with multiple lines and other public transport options available. And smaller ones still that at least have functioning overground tram networks (Dresden, Ghent, Gothenburg, Odense, Utrecht etc.). Valenciennes in France is about the size of Drogheda and it has at least one tram line.

And yet you have eejits on media comment sections claiming that Dublin (a capital city of 1.5 million people) is actually spoiled for choice when it comes to public transport. The sort of people who think planning in this country exists in a dichotomy, where either Dublin gets an upgrade or "the country" gets it, but they couldn't possibly get both at the same time. Although presumably that argument won't fly now that they're talking about a Cork tram system, so another excuse will have to be found.

As egregious as the costs are, whinging about it won't get it built faster. If it isn't built you'll only get even more outrage at the ballooned cost whenever it's proposed again 10-20 years down the line.

Post edited by snowstorm445 on

• Advertisement

Hanoi metro in Vietnam opened last year….from planning to the first act of construction, 4.5 years…

vs

Dublin from planning permission being granted in 2011 to first act of construction… 11 years and counting.

Hanoi metro…

Advertisement