Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating choices

Options
  • 05-07-2022 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a four bed detached house with an old grant oil boiler must be 20 years old. I also had a 6KW stove no boiler in the sitting room which has packed in.

The house is approx 1600 sqf and has a C1 BER rating following walls pumped and extra attic insulation. Its south facing on the front so warm enough when there is sun on the front side.

I was planning to replace the solid fuel stove with an electric plug in thing as an interim measure but with electricity increasing perhaps not the wisest move. Probably use 700-900 units electricity.

I would estimate we use about 800 litres of oil - heating not on timed - the house wouldn't get to 20 degrees in winter as a result.

Just wondering about options here.

Heat pump

I assume the cost of updating the house to a high spec - wall cladding - windows etc could run from 70-100K and I would possibly still be looking at an electric bill of 400€ bi-monthly and rising? Would it be better looking at this if inflation subsides maybe technology advances?

Wood pellet - I think to install one that heats the rads would require a lot of internal work to get the pipe work from the sitting room up to the hot press but also I expect generate too much head for the size of the room?

Wood boiler something like this https://www.ecoangus.ie/ecoangus_images/super65/index.html The existing oil boiler is in the corner of the utility - we converted the existing garage into a small room and utility. Could this fit in there with a chimney flue trainer up the outside angles to the top of the house or does the chimney need a straighter run. I believe they also need a water storage tank where would that need to go? I presume it needs to be on the ground somewhere?

The final problem is ventilation - the existing vents are trickle vents in some of the windows which don't allow sufficient air circulation. Does every rom need a hole drilled in the wall and proper vents added or in there an air pump solution I apply at least to the upstairs rooms through the ceiling something like the extractor fans in the two bathrooms?

Would it be better to get someone in to assess if so who would I be looking for - based in the midlands.

this is the old boiler

Thanks,

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

New Stove might heat the house on its own

I've a small Stanley that heats the whole house in winter after I got the walls pumped, no need for oil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭riddles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Small little Stanley

3 bed semi got the walls and attic done , didn't need the oil on after that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭riddles

Hi

I am just kicking around some choices here in the 5-6KW multi fuel stove either a stanley eco which seems to have a really small fire box v the Stanley Solis F500. cost range is 699-899€ plus installation fee.

The Solis had a more modern design but was maybe lacking on the quality side just an observation.

The alternative is a pellet stove 6KW ranging from 1000 to 1300€ - the plus here is not lugging coal and sticks or briquettes but maybe not the residual heat of the solid fuel stove.

Just wondering if there is a pellet stoves recommendation just for heating a sitting room 5 metres by 4 metres sitting on the existing hearth - inset pellet stoves I am assuming are relatively new offerings.

Any recommendations looks like coal is going to rocket and is on the greens target list.

thanks,

R

Post edited by riddles on

Advertisement