Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA roaming question

Options
  • 05-07-2022 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

On Vodafone the network roaming partner was AT&T until they turned off their 3G this year. It was then changed to T-Mobile but I believe T-Mobile have now turned off their 3G now the other day. What happens now because 4G calling isn’t supported while roaming. The only saving Grace is Eir/GoMo with their wifi calling. Maybe Vodafone will let wifi calling work abroad? Vodafone wifi calling did work for a while in the UK last week.

EDIT: It seems T Mobile still have their 2G network to fall back on. Vodafone UK are introducing 4G calling in the USA later this year. Whether Vodafone Ireland follows remains to be seen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I’m having some strange issues with Vodafone in the US at the moment. I’m mostly just getting 3G on T-Mobile but yesterday we went outside the city and I was only getting 2G. I was playing around with my phone settings and found that if I set it to 3G only, I somehow get 4G! Maybe it’s something to do with my phone not having the correct bands? I’m using an iPhone 8 Plus but it makes no sense to me that I can be getting 4G when the phone is set to 3G. It will eventually drop back to 3G and stay there if I travel around but if I set the phone back to 4G, toggle flight mode then set it to 3G again I’ll get 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

That’s not real 4G. That is probably H+. For some reason they call it 4G in the USA. They refer genuine 4G as LTE. Standard 3G( UMTS) will display 3G. Years ago in the usa i had 4G displayed on my iphone. The phone didn’t actually support genuine 4G. It had me scratching my head at the time.

Are voice calls working ok? I have heard they haven’t fully turned off 3g/H+ fully in some areas.

If I make a voice call it drops back to 3G and then resumes 4G when the call ends. I’m on an old plan which doesn’t include VoLTE (but includes unlimited US roaming) so that’s normal for me. But I do know what you mean, I’ve see iPhones over here show LTE instead.

I landed back in Ireland this morning but had the same issue on Vodafone. Turns out my phone was acting wonky and a reboot sorted it. I wish I tried that before now. 🙄

Advertisement