Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two pence coin

Options
  • 04-07-2022 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

I asked in the sticky first but then realised it hasn't had a post in 3 years so probably better to ask here.

I found a 2p new pence coin when pulling out a kitchen press. It's in bad shape.

Apparently the ones with two pence are worth nothing but the ones with new pence were a limited batch between 79 and 81 which added new instead of two by mistake. Because of their rarity due to a limited run they could be worth between 500 and 1k.

However, is it even worth anything in this shape? Could I get it restored professionally and if so whats the cost or could I sell it in it's current condition?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

79-81 New Pence coins have no value beyond face unless in immaculate condition (they all said that from 69-81). It's 1983 specifically that are valuable. Is that an 83?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Thanks for clarifying, I misread that obviously and thought it was any coin with new pence. It says 1971 on the coin so I guess its worthless but thats just my 2 cents. 😆

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Over a billion 1971 2p coins were made, in that condition you'd actually have trouble spending it for face. Not sure what you'd buy with 2p even with possibly cheaper prices in NI!

Advertisement