Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claim cancellation

Options
  • 30-06-2022 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Hi

can I cancel a claim on my own policy ?

ive fully comp but the excess is more than the damage.

any advise

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Of course you can. Just ring them and advise you wish to withdraw it. I presume there is no 3rd party involved

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

There is a third party involved.

my car was parked and a third party had ran into it.

the guard cannot give me the third party details so I’ve too go true my own insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Miscreant

If the third party is at fault then surely your excess should not come into it?

Give the Gardaí's details to your insurance company and let them talk to sort it out. It is your insurance company's job.

It is not your insurance company's job to assist you in claiming from a 3rd party, unless they have already settled your damages as a claim under your policy.

They can, however, contact the Gardai on your behalf to obtain the 3rd party's insurance details to allow you initiate a claim against them.

I would of thought they would assist me in claiming of the TP policy but it’s not the case,hence they recommend I go true my policy too chase the TP.

I don’t want too go true my own policy as the excess would be a bigger amount too pay than the damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, as far as you are aware, do the Gardai know the identity of the driver who damaged your car? Have they explained why they are not prepared to give you his details?

It's not good enough to tell you to claim off your own policy. If you had third party cover only, do they expect you to suffer the loss while they conceal his identity?

Yes Gardai got his details and cannot give it too me under GDPR rules.

he advised me too contact a superintendent in the division headquarters who cannot give it too me either.they advise me they can only give it my insurance company (which I don’t want too go true ) or a solicitor.

Your insurance company isn't going to pay you anything either way. So what have you got to lose by asking them to get his details?

Poster Eggs for Dinner works in the business, see the second paragraph in his post (#5) above.

Your insurer should be able to request the TP details from the Gardai without processing a claim. When a 3rd party is involved, it's in their interest to assist you in deflecting a claim their way.

BTW Coylemj, I retired last week after 43 looooong years in the business 😃

Eggs- once my insurance gets the TP details can the give it too me or are the bound by GDPR rules also ?

• Advertisement

They'll give it to you without issue. Parties to an accident are obliged to exchange insurance information, so this is just a way of facilitating that. If you have the reg number, all you need is which insurer he's with and that's enough to begin a claim

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Why do you not want to go through the insurance company. That's what they are there for.

But this crap that gardai cannot give details that are on open display on a windscreen is an utter joke.

Gdpr my ass.

Good luck in retirement Eggs. It's great to have an insider on the forum and look forward to you continuing to enlighten us into the future. 🍾

Cheers, hopefully I'll still be able to assist from the outside. Things are changing so fast (not always for the good) in the business that my experience may soon be obsolete

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just to jump in here and confirm, if someone else crashes into me I can't call my insurance to deal with the claim from the third party insurer? I've seen a few people say to call your own insurance to claim on third party insurance and have them do the work for you?

I called the local Garda station just to have a report on the system as I've seen suggested many times but they said they only take a statement from both drivers and ensure the validity of both drivers insurance and license and don't do anything else as I already have the drivers reg/insurance details and nobody was injured.

Just to jump in here and confirm, if someone else crashes into me I can't call my insurance to deal with the claim from the third party insurer? I've seen a few people say to call your own insurance to claim on third party insurance and have them do the work for you?

If you have fully comp, you can claim off your policy and let your insurance claim off the other guy. But if you have third party cover only, you're on your own. Other than, as Eggs for Dinner points out above (post #5), your own insurance will help you get the other guy's details from the cops if you find yourself in the same position as the OP. Where the Gardai have the other guy's details but quote GDPR to deny you access to the data.

Advertisement