Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat for rental property

Options
  • 30-06-2022 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I have two rooms of a property I own rented out. I want to keep the property. The gas condensing boiler is giving trouble after 15 years. I am wondering if changing to electric heating (night storage) or these new top of the range, usually German, electric heathers. Just the hassle of yearly gas servicing and boilers that give trouble after a few years - there was a part replaced about 3 years ago. The house is small with only 6 radiators. Would electric heating be worth installing? Is it expensive, including the night storage version? I was thinking of eventually installing solar panels for electricity, would this go some way to meeting the cost of electric heating. No option for pellet boiler, as no room for silo, and don't think the tenants would be able to look after it, so not really another option only install another gas boiler or go electric. House Ber C!.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Beware of hype like (what you quoted) 'top of the range' or any claims of higher levels of efficiency when it comes to electric heaters. Every ounce (joule) of energy goes into heat so there is no heater that is more efficient than the next. What some models can be good at is retaining heat for controlled dispersal, that's obviously in the context of storage heaters. Other than that, ignore the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭headtheball14

Solar makes no sense for heating. When you need the most heat you have the least sun. You would need to get a night meter for storage heaters . Electric radiators spend a lot on marketing and performance can be over stated There's not much different from a cheap heater you can buy in aldi or woodies.

Air to water heat pump is expensive to install but you could look into it.You could also look at an air to air heat pump but since you're not living there I would ju is t keep it simple and repair or replace the boiler. Getting rid of Gas has a cost too. Houses with storage heaters are also less popular when selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭headtheball14

I had a look at other posts if it is liquid gas you are using and if you live in the house I would look at moving to air to water pump. You can get loans through an post to fund work .check out seai website for more info

Advertisement