Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Grand C Max 1.6 Diesel

Options
  • 30-06-2022 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

Friend recently bought one of these, approx 150K miles. After a few weeks he noticed that the heater was only blowing cold air so brought it to his usual garage and they bled the heater and topped up coolant, he took it for a drive and (was told) returned to the garage for them to check out/final top up with coolant but there was a lot of pressure in the expansion bottle and water was bubbling, they played around with it and he left it there as they thought it was either thermostat or thermostat housing, EGR, or head gasket. When they stripped it down, found head gasket failure so are presently renewing it.

My query is why did this excess pressure only show up after bleeding the heater matrix, was it acting as a expansion vessel and was large enough to accomodate the cyclic rise/fall of pressure from wherever the gasket had failed, possibly near a exhaust valve?. I certainly hope the head gasket replacement + head skim will solve the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭John.G

All well after head skimmed + new gasket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I know its late but when blowing cold air coolant was low and funny starting from cold might have been known at that time.

Even though it has been fixed i would be rechecking it as diesel engines are well known for cracks in cylinder head which can fail over time.

Forgot to mention expansion bottle has a pressurized cap and if full of coolant would have left a lovely stain around bottle and underneath and when dried you would get a taste in your mouth.

No coolant in water it might have vented without you knowing , and cylinder head gasket gone water hoses are rock hard to squeeze.

Advertisement