Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account still not closed

Options
  • 30-06-2022 4:17pm

I sent an email to close down my account on the 4th of June. Why is it taking so long to be closed? This is the 3rd time I've had to ask now.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

I've been waiting since last NOVEMBER to get mine erased. They can't do it.

Really? That's odd. Surely that's not right.

There is an issue with one part of their GDPR anonymisation tool and they can't fix it.

The tool anonymises all posts on a thread by thread basis and also alters the username which other users have quoted in their reply. However any quoted posts from before the migration (July 2021) cannot be included in the anonymisation process.

Yeah I got that response but I told them I don't care about anoymisation and just to close the account.

Nobody around to answer no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

From the privacy notice at the bottom, drop an email to datarequests@boards.ie and it will be actioned within 30 days. If you’ve already done this and it hasn’t happened, send a reminder. It was more than likely overlooked as opposed to wilfully ignored.

-Shield

I have done this and sent a reminder 4 or 5 days ago. First email was sent on the 4th of June.

@Shield Can you contact the person in charge of data requests? Still has not being actioned. I've sent off another email but that's 5 in total now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

As far as I know, the account for taking care of these requests is @Boards.ie: GDPR but I believe it's the same person who takes care of the email address you sent your request to. Hopefully they will see this notification and expedite your request.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There are only 2 Boards.ie people now as far as I'm aware - Niamh and Odhran, with a dev they contract for a few hours a month.

I'm guessing this stuff falls to Niamh or the dev so I can understand the delays in fairness, but Odhran is the one responsible for ensuring these sorts of things get actioned promptly and certainly within the timeframe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Niamh seems to have gone full Scarlet Pimpernel, if the "Draft Saved" thread is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I sent two mails about anonymising an old closed account, one back in February and a reminder on 9th June. I got confirmation back in February that it would be done but still nothing has been done. There's no major rush on it I suppose but I wasn't expecting it to go on 5 months later.

Like the rest it has been well over 30 days since i recived there reply that they would close my account so i have emailed the data commission about  Boards Software Ltd seeming refusal to close and delete my account after I followed the guidelines they laid out.

Exercising your rights, managing information and opting out

7.2 You may update or change information related to your account by updating the social media account linked to your profile, or by sending us an email at datarequests@boards.ie. You may request that your information be removed from a Site by emailing us at the address provided above. You may also unsubscribe from our marketing communications by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link located on the bottom of our emails.

7.3 At any time you can close your Boards.ie user account. Closing your account means we will delete your password, remove any email subscriptions or notifications you may receive, delete all personal data we hold about you and turn off and delete your Private Messages. This process does not remove any posts you have made on the site.

7.4 You can update or correct your Personal Data, remove it from our system or exercise any of your rights by making a request to us at the contact information provided below. If for some reason access is denied, we will provide an explanation of why access has been denied.

7.5 We will confirm your request within 21 days of receipt, and process your request within 30 days of receipt.

Link to the data commission.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

@PespiChallenge I have PM'd and emailed you about this today. Please read and get back to me when you can, thanks.

@Boards.ie: GDPR Delete my account and remove all my data from your infrastructure. I withdraw my consent to any data being processed.

https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/individuals/know-your-rights/right-erasure-articles-17-19-gdpr

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Only seeing this now, I will add you to the list and contact you with the official details by email.

Advertisement