Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting onto painted wood

Options
  • 30-06-2022 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi, I recently bought some Dulux water based satinwood paint and was told to sand down the wood lightly with 100 sandpaper, and then paint. But only today did I hear that you should paint only using the same type of paint as was used previously. I’m painting old sitting boards just to freshen them up, the house is quite old so I’m not sure what type of paint was used previously. Would sanding and using the water based paint be ok, or should I swap for oil based paint, considering it’s probably oil based paint on them already.

Thanks for any advice

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Captain Kidd

If it’s helpful here is a picture of the skirting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Sand, primer and then paint, otherwise the paint will not adhere properly.

I usually use bullseye 123 as the primer.

Primer can be thick, so you need to work fast and maybe dilute it to get a good finish.

You may need to use an electric sanding machine on the original surface depending on the state of the surface to get a smooth surface.

Light sand between coats as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Get some Abranet 120 grit to rub the existing paint with, prime with bullseye or Fleetwood Pure Grip, then paint, use 240 grit Abranet to rub the new paint lightly before the final coat, I find it helps if using water based paint on woodwork to give it a rub of a damp cloth just before painting, it slows the paint drying and gives the brush marks a chance to level out.

Thanks for those tips, I rang a paint shop who advised that if I’m painting over already painted wood then i should use oil based paint of I think the existing paint is oil based, it probably is. So if I sand down with 100 grit sandpaper. Should that be enough? I don’t have much time and I wasn’t expecting I’d need to sand, then prime also before painting. Thanks again. Really appreciate the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

That will work.

Just bear in mind painting oil based is trickier and will stink out the place for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Agree with the above advice. It is all aout surface preperation and using quality paint. I have found Colourtrend Prime 1 to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If you sand and prime with the correct primer, you can paint with water based paint

Thanks everyone, much appreciated

Advertisement