Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philippines - Travel advice do's and don't please

Options
  • 28-06-2022 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

I've never been before but I'm planning on travelling solo in August, I'll be staying with friends in the northern part of the country. I believe there is a 5 day quarantine once I arrive in Manila. I'd love some tips on what to do and what not to do while there. I hope to stay in Manila for a few days after quarantine before going North. Do I need vaccinations or medication? Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Did you go ? I'm travelling this week. Excited is not the word 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Not yet, I've postponed the trip until next summer - I'd really appreciate if you could post here with your experience when you return

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mate has been loads of times, has fallen in love with the place, should be a blast folks, enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I'm here a week now and going to another island tomorrow. My GF is Filipino(lives and works in Ireland) so it's much easier getting around but the locals are extremely nice and helpful much like Irish people.

It's very humid too and like everywhere a bit of common sense and you will be fine.

I didn't receive any vaccinations but I did before when I went to Asia, brought jungle formula for mosquitoes but haven't encountered any.

It's a brilliant place 😁

I'm heading to Manila next week. The DFA page says that a Rapid Antigen Test if required 24 hours prior to departure. Does anyone know if these are still being done in Dublin Airport - the Randox website doesn't have anything on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Dublinandy3

You don't need to test anymore, just fill out the online travel form that they call e travel.

(Unless they've changed in the last month or so which I very much doubt).

You don't even need to show proof of vaccine anymore.

Really? I can't find anywhere that does it anyway, I think the ones are the airport are gone - I'm just going by what the requirements are on the DFA page dated 23rd April.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Yeah, that was how it was in April. I can't imagine it's changed as nothing covid related has over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DrPsychia

The scenary can be beautiful and some of the beaches/islands are stunning with the turquoise tropical water.

It's a brilliant place when you're a relatively wealthy foreigner. Underneath it all it's a lawless and highly corrupt country with extreme wealth disparity. Visiting the Philippines made me extremely appreciative how lucky we are to be born in Ireland and all the opportunity, supports and protections we are afforded here. Poverty is Philippines is everywhere, and it's bad. Flashy churches everywhere while many people have nothing, I shudder to think of the scale of child abuse going on there as priests are near omnipotent. Not a good place when you're part of the lower class.

I felt sick when I seen countless predominantly middle aged and elderly Caucasian men(other races also) of with teenagers who were clearly under 18. Many of the men doing a pump and dump, leaving them as single mothers. The rest were going with women in their 20's who were poor and hoping of a better life. To be fair, many women do find a way out and get a better life.

I feel sorry for the Filipino nurses here who have to send money home almost indefinitely to family.

Advertisement