Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to move to?

Options
  • 28-06-2022 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My family (husband, primary aged child, dog, and myself) are just starting the search for a home to buy. We live in Dun Laoghaire, and we won't be able to buy here. We're from the US, and we've lived here for a year. Because we can't afford to live right here, it feels almost like there are too many options. Our budget (TOTAL home cost, without taking into account stamp tax, fees, etc.) is 375,000. Neither of us work outside the home, although this may not always be the case. So in theory, we could look anywhere, but I'm hesitant to go too far outside of Dublin. We wind up going to Dublin about once a week for shopping or a festival or something else.

My ideal place would be at least 80 sq. meters, have a vibrant town centre, not be in danger of flooding in the next several years, must be a house (garden for the dog), not need much work (we can change out carpets and finishes, but I don't want to have to spend tens of thousands just to make it liveable in the immediate term), be reasonably close to a wide range of services, be close to hiking, have an arts scene, and be close to the sea (or other major waterway). I'd like to be a commutable distance to Dublin, but this could be as much as an hour and a half or so outside of Dublin.

We haven't travelled much to other cities, and we've only lived in Dun Laoghaire. My ideal place would be Bray, but there aren't many places that are affordable at any time. Generally, we're considering anywhere that's affordable and commutable, although we'd consider something further out. Places that are loosely on our list are Drogheda, some of the northern towns in County Dublin (like Raheny or Donameade), parts of D8, parts of D12, parts of D3, Lucan, larger towns in County Kildare (but they're flat: are they interesting enough?), southeastern County Meath (possibly Trim as well), Bray if we can, possibly Wicklow town, and maybe (if we can find it) a home in Rathfarnham, Ballybrack, or Sallynoggin. Pretty much any of the commuter areas that are more affordable, without including the most notorious places.

We're open to looking further out from the Dublin area, as I said, as well, like Waterford or Kilkenny or Gorey.

Wherever we live, we want to think of ourselves as living in that particular town (and not just sleeping there but living in Dublin) if we live in a commuter area. Since we don't have to go to Dublin, the town itself should feel like a nice place where we don't feel like we have to leave it for entertainment elsewhere. We don't want to always feel like outsiders either. Of all of the more affordable commuter towns, which are the best for this? And for towns further away from Dublin, which are better for vibrancy and community?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

Of the places you've listed, Bray and Raheny tick every box - if you can find something within your price range. Ditto for much of Sallynoggin.

Other than the places you've listed, further into Wicklow (like Kilcoole) or Wexford would personally be my choice, given your criteria and price range. Kilkenny and Waterford are lovely, too, but further in terms of commute.

If prices come down a bit then Enniskerry/Stepaside/Kilmacanogue could all be a good fit.

Good luck in the search!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I can't see how you will find a place for that price in Raheny. You will find places saying they are Raheny but actually Edenmore or really close to it. Don't know the southside that well. There are areas beside or close to Raheny that would be worth considering like Kilester and even Donnycarney in parts has gentrified where you might be able to afford at the moment.

Stark reality is at that price range you would be lucky to find a place at that price close to the city centre and a nice neighbourhood. We also don't really do vibrant town centres for the most part in Dublin suburbs. You are probably looking at something outside Co Dublin to match your expectation. Maynooth might work for you. North Co Dublin is generally cheaper so you should probably look that way. You have no connections to South Dublin which for many reasons is more expensive but wouldn't bother somebody from outside of Ireland. You will also be closer to the airport on the north side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

If I had no connections but wanted to be in party distance of Dublin, I'd look at somewhere like Skerries.

The benefit of the northside is that the coastal areas are cheaper (I like the coast) and it's more airport accessible (if your work has travel, or you have lots of visitors, or you like to weekend away a bit).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭tscul32

I'd also look at Swords. 80sqm isnt that big and some of the smaller houses in Swords would come into your budget. Close to the sea, airport, motorway and good public transport. Also town centre and shopping centre and proximity to lovely beaches like Portmarnock and Malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Baybay

I’m going to be a vote for Wicklow town!

It really depends though on what’s most important to your family & where you get the best value for money to achieve that.

If wfh may not be as big a feature in the future, is the Dart, the commuter train network or the motorway going to become more important. While Wicklow has a train service, although in need of upgrade & it has access to the M11, the nearest Dart is Greystones, probably beyond your budget.

Wicklow has a lot of things going for it & I’m sure some against but it is undergoing something of an overdue transformation. A lot of new builds are in the process of being built although possibly beyond the budget you’ve mentioned. There are a number of older properties in the town too though which may provide other benefits, maybe walking distance to shops, schools, harbour, library or knowing what the area is like before you buy or a mature garden or who knows?! Have a look on Daft at Rosehill. I had a quick look just now & there’s a few in budget. NB I do not have a house to sell in Rosehill!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement