Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slow Laptop

• 28-06-2022 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Help please: I am sure this is a common problem but despite research it I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I have two laptops, one an oldish Toshiba running Windows 7 with Avast Free antivirus software and the second, a Lenovo with i30, 4GB and HD running Windows 10 with Bitdefender Free antivirus software. While the Toshiba is pretty well OK the Lenovo is abysmally slow. Something is obviously going on in the background that is slowing everything down, especially startup. If I restart it seems to help matters, a little. Both are running wireless and phone, tablet etc running wireless seem ok. I use Google and run my apps through old style dropdown menus. I would rather not do a reinstall as I would have to purchase new licences for several apps I use regularly. Any ideas or help welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

First, look at the list of installed programs and remove any that you are not using.

Then, uninstall the antivirus s/w on both machines. I have just retired a Thinkpad I bought in 2010, it ran Windows 7 for 12 years with only the free Microsoft Defender (or whatever it's called) and I never had a problem. I will admit that I have a subscription to Malwarebytes (which I would recommend) but I would never run any externally sourced antivirus s/w. What you get for free from Microsoft will do the job.

Have you run the task manager to see who is using CPU and RAM? Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and select 'task manager' from the menu.

If the disk drive is a spinning disk (HDD), consider upgrading to an SSD, it will make a huge difference, especially to the time it takes to boot. I would definitely do that for the newer machine, the older machine may not be worth the effort and expenditure. Make sure that any SSD you buy comes with migration s/w which allows you to clone the existing HDD.

Advertisement