Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Vodafone upgraded their Broadand?

Options
  • 27-06-2022 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Before, When i test my speed on speedtest, if everything is good, my download speed would max at around 38 or 39. Never 40.

But since yesterday, I've been getting up to 64 Mbps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

How are you testing?

On WiFi, Ethernet?

Is this FTTC, Mobile broadband? If, FTTC, the max you'll ever get is 100 mbps down. What speed does your modem say you are connected at.

Thgere's lots of variables that could describe the increase. Is the new higher speed consistent across different servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭steve66

I am renting a room in an old house, and downstairs is a vodafone gigabox, and a super wifi booster.

"How are you testing?

On WiFi, Ethernet?"

I was probably testing on both. I try to use wired as much as I can. Although my wired is not a cable connected from router to back of computer. It's a cable going from the back of the computer to a repeater.

It looks like the honeymoon period is over. Today has been very frustrating. I have been been getting download speeds from less than 1 Mbps to up to 50. I have been switching back and forth between wired and wireless.

Right now I am using Wi-Fi. Because that was the last option to give me decent speed.

I have tried 3 different servers. All give me speeds in the 30 zone.

Trying wired.

Little more than Zero download speed.

Back to wi-Fi.

Speed in 30 Zone.

It seems the only way I assured of getting decent download speeds consistently is with the wifi booster. Unfortunately that has to stay downstairs. I wonder if it's worth renting a second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

Unless it’s wired all the way from the computer/device to the router that’s not a wired test. What you have described has WiFi in the chain so is essentially still a test over WiFi.

Ok. Lets just say wi-fi and Ethernet. At least that's what the computer describes it as.

Anyway the speed even on wi-fi went wonky again. Last night when Landlady in bed. I brought the booster to my room and connected it to my computer through the ethernet port. Speed went up to 62. It more or less stayed like that consistently.

I disconnected it about an hour later, and used the repeater again. But speed did not deteriorate,

Now it still in the 60's.

It's as if plugging in the booster gave the computer a shot in the arm.

Let's see how long it lasts for.

Yes, tried on various servers.

Now. Back down to 3.

Anyway thanks for your input.

• Advertisement
Advertisement