Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-monitoring options for 2GIG GC2 alarm system (ex-Action 24 / alarm.com)

Options
  • 27-06-2022 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I recently moved into a new build house that was pre-fitted with an alarm system by Action 24. The alarm panel seems to be the 2GIG GC2 with wireless sensors all over the house. Action 24 offer 12 months free of charge for monitoring, which is close to expiring soon.

I have not found the value in the monitoring service as I only use the Alarm.com app and I would be happy to manage / monitor alarms myself. Action 24 don't offer a self-monitored subscription, so I'm looking for options to transfer the current alarm system to any other provider. At first glance it seems the 2GIG GC2 is not very popular in Ireland.

I'm hoping to find smaller providers other than Action 24 that can facilitate access to Alarm.com for self-monitoring.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You should double check, but normally if an alarm comes free or cheap with monitoring contract, that normally means the alarm remains the property of the company who installed it and you won't be able to move it to another company.

If that is the case, your best course of action is to remove the 2GIG GC2 system, return it to the company in question. You should probably contact them first to see what is the best way to do this.

Then your options are to install your own self monitored alarm system either DIY or getting an independent installer to do it. Doing this is usually much more expensive up front, but FAR cheaper over a couple of years use, due to the money saved on monitoring costs.

If you want to go the DIY route, then AJAX Alarm is a system that gets very high praise and has lots of excellent features. A cheaper (but less capable) DIY option is Amazon Ring Alarm.

If you want an installer to do it, then the usual advice is to get three quotes from different installers. Make sure to check for ongoing fees for self monitoring, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Valentin_N

Thanks for the detailed response, I'll keep it in mind if I go down the route of replacing the current alarm system. For now I'm assuming whatever goods came with the house when I bought it new are my property, and any property dispute would be between the builder and the alarm company. This is not the point of the thread though, so I'd like to leave this aside for now while we address the main point: finding another company willing to work with this alarm system type.

Is there any company besides Action 24 that can work with the 2GIG GC2 system? It doesn't even have to be an Irish company since all the company does is facilitate registering with Alarm.com. I've contacted a US-based alarm company that seems to work with this alarm system type but they don't deal with European customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ianiemac

Hi Valentin, did you ever move on from Action 24. In a similar situation now.

Advertisement