Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allowed to Change Energy Suppliers?

Options
  • 27-06-2022 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there is any 'right' to change electricity suppliers when moving into a rented property?

Any protections or legislation/advice regarding this that anyone is aware of in ireland?

As in, can the landlord refuse to allow the tenant to choose the tenant's own electricity supplier?

Situation is that the landlord may have signed up for a contract of min. 12 months and may not want to pay exit fee for that if tenant changes suppliers.

Tenant does not want to stay with that supplier, and also wants to avail of signing up deals there may be on offer.

Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Is the electricity bill in the landlord's name or the tenant's name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

In the landlord's name.

Edited to add:

Landlord signed up for prepaypower before having the tenant move in.

Tenant pays the company (Prepay) directly.

They want to switch and have the account in their own name. As it stands they can't use the app or call about the account as the account is in the landlord's name.

If they put their name on the account it might constitute an agreement to the contract (?) not sure about that but they do not want to enter into a contract with that company.

They were told the landlord would have to pay an exit fee if the tenant left the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Glaceon

That seems unusual to me. Any rented accommodation I've ever lived in (with the exception of house shares) has had the utilities in my own name so I could go wherever I wanted. I moved my gas to Flogas at one stage and there was no issue.

I've never had a situation like it where renting before, it was bills in my name and I chose who I went with, no issues there, and made more sense for the landlord.

I have two theories:

1. Landlord was sold a pup about PrePay being better as he would never be left liable for bills if tenant did a runner. (Obviously if bills are in the tenant's name the landlord holds no liability for those bills, but maybe he was misinformed?)
    2. He wanted to avail of free electricity from when he bought the house to when he had a tenant in, because he had received €150 credit from Prepay power. But knows he is liable for exit fee, so would rather not give the tenant the option of changing, as it would cost him money.

Bumping this to see if anyone knows if their is any legislation allowing tenants to choose their own electricity/utility provider?

Would really appreciate if anyone could point me in the direction of anything that states the tenant who is paying the bills can choose provider and price plans themselves, thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement