Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmoon Cross delays?

Options
  • 27-06-2022 9:08am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Why is there a report on the traffic problems on RTE Radio every day about delays at Kilmoon Cross on the N2?

There appears to be no major factory or housing there that could explain it. Is it just trucks avoiding the toll at Drogheda?

Curious as to why as it is almost daily reports of delays.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

It carries a huge volume of traffic/commuters from Drogheda/Meath/ the north area heading towards Dublin, the issue is caused by a junction on the fairyhouse road which is a little bit further up from Kilmoon cross. There is a set of lights there which delays the flow of the N2, its been going on years, very infuriating.

The slowdown rails back along the n2 , and people trying to get turned from kilmoon cross are depending on other drivers letting them out .

I’ve lost some amount of time at the junction / area in my lifetime traveling to / from work .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Looking at Google maps, there appears no reason for a delay. Thank you for explaining it.

I guessed it was traffic from Drogheda, but why has nothing been done about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What fascinates (and annoys) me is that the stations pay people to say the same thing day after day after day - Kilmoon Cross, the Grand Canal from Harold's Cross to Portobello/Ranelagh/Leeson St, Church Street heading to the quays, SCR from Islandbridge to Kilmainham, North Quays.

Every. Single. Morning.

Rinse and repeat with variations for evening rush hour.

Occasionally they will report road works or a collision, which is vaguely useful, but 99% of the traffic reports would write themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

All the politicians have huffed and puffed about it for years, something may be due to happen in the coming years, will believe it when i see it.

Thankfully working from home in the past couple of years I have not had to endure the junction/delay , i did find an alternative cross country route to get round it , it was just in the winter month it was a dangerous route to take .

Yeah traffic from Drogheda/Meath and further beyond, all coming up the main N2 road, one set of lights at the " tayto park " junction grinds the traffic to a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Reminds me of the traffic reports in the 1980's which always ended with "....and it's bumper to bumper on the Stillorgan dual carriageway'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are they mislabelling kilmoon cross in the reports? the junction mentioned above which causes all the issues, is 1.6km south of kilmoon cross.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Would it be a big job to sort out that junction? Would it need a free-flow design involving a bridge, or just better traffic lights and filter lanes?

Is it south bound traffic in the morning avoiding the various tolls (M1, M50, and M3)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,124 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Those lights are to be bypassed at some stage according to this thread:

Just looking at the map, and avoiding the M1 toll at Drogheda is unlikely, and the same for the M50 one.

I find it surprising that it features everyday in the traffic reports, but not in the promised upgrades. Surely some politician is missing a trick somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's not as bad during the summer, but from Sept-June you get a lot of college traffic coming up the N2 and from Drogheda, all adding in to the usual traffic, at which point it's just a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

i drive it daily and a serious amount of traffic uses it. I believe a load of motorists use this route to avoid tolls as most cars turn away from ashbourne to the motorway to dublin. Getting rid of the toll would help a lot with traffic congestion on the n2 but will never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Will this project not solve the issue as mentioned above?

That section of the N2 is heavily trafficed for many reasons such as the quarrys and waste facilites and other industry in that area.

It is also a heavy commuter route for any one east of Navan that is working in Ballycoolin and the Greather North Dublin Area.

You also have a lot of logistics firms based at the start of the N2 and its business parks that use it as a route to supply the North West

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i cycled up the L50161 (the road leading from the cemetery just north of the pillo hotel, to curragha) the other day at about 5:30, and the tailback to curragha stretched almost the full length of the road. that must have been a 20 or 30 minute delay?

It sounds like the tolls on the M3 and M1 need to be removed.

i'm not sure people are putting up with losing 20 minutes of their lives to avoid the toll though? though i can think of faster ways of getting past curragha than waiting that long; go via ratoath and skryne and swing onto the N2 near balrath. depends on where you're heading, of course.

What would it take to fix it? A bridge and two trumpet junctions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Slightly off topic but talking about Toll Roads the M1 will revert back to TII from CRG in just over 10 years. Will the state drop the toll or will it continue like the east and west link?

The East Link is definitely a mistake because a lot of traffic diverts across the Becket Bridge, which sends traffic the wrong way in towards the city centre.

The jams caused by the roundabout north on the toll bridge causes more delays than the toll bridge itself and that should be sorted - probably by a one way system till the proper solution is announced a few more times.

As for Kilmoon Cross, if it is causing the level of delays that it makes a regular daily feature on the morning traffic news, then it needs sorting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Kilmoon caused by the lights at Phibblestown. (Tayto park Jxn).

Same lights cause the massive tailback in other direction and the tailback into Curragha in the evenings.

Funny enough before those lights were installed Kilmoon used cause the backup in the mornings. Right back to rathfeidh cross in the morning.

M1 toll probably has some effect. Plenty from say Duleek could go up M1. But not going to pay the toll or go to Julianstiwn when they might get stuck for ages on M1 at Balbriggan, Swords or M50. N2 much clearer in mornings at M50 end.

Kilmoon serves everyone from north driving to say Intel or anything over that way

Advertisement