Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What electric car is actually available?

Options
  • 26-06-2022 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭

What’s list of cars that are actually available to buy in some kind of a reasonable timeframe? Ie if you order now you will have it by year end let’s say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭KildareP

It seems from my own experience over the last two weeks, none new anyway...

Hyundai: been told Ioniq and Kona are now realistically looking at September 2023 for orders placed "today".

Nissan: Leaf second half of 2023, Ariya "sometime" in 2023.

Peugeot: e208, e2008, early-mid 2023.

MG: ZS 2023, couldn't give any sort of timeframe even as far as first or second half.

Polestar: Only the long range dual motor is suggesting "Late August", everything else is unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hyundai and Nissan garages are both saying production delays and orders are coming in faster than they can produce so the backlog is getting worse, not better. And as others here are mentioning it appears orders for the forseeable only secure your place in the queue, they don't guarantee either price or spec.

Not suprising in some respects to see demand jumping - diesel €214.9 at Circle K Kill inbound this morning which is normally one of the better priced stations on my commute and I fully expect that to continue on upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s pretty unbelievably demand!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭micks_address

You might be lucky if you put your name down for a cancellation. I am getting an ID4 in next few weeks purely because i chanced calling my dealer in april and asked about any potential cancellations for July.. i fully expected him to laugh at me but there was one available and i took it.. of course i had no choice of colour or spec etc but it was / is grand..

• Advertisement

Am considering that myself, but it seems that most orders are for the shorter range as opposed to long range options.

Due to work I need to be able to at least get from Dublin to Cork, Galway or Belfast and a good bit of the way back with zero prior notice before I have to factor in a charge. Most non-long range versions of the ioniq, Kona or Leaf don't seem to be able to do that comfortably in worse case scenarios like winter or poor weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Pricey!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭VikingG

No not really - though that is a handy shortcut for them, try to buy a laptop or phone do you think you need to wait a year. The issue is really the same problem as Dublin Airport - Car production dropped over 20% over the pandemic and they cant recover that constrained production capacity quickly enough - and it's even worse for BEVs as the required investment in new lines was delayed while they waited to see what would happen with Covid. The final nail then is unanticipated demand. It was interesting when I was test driving the EV6 last month the salesman said that when they first saw the 50K+ price tag they thought that no one would buy it now he cant even accept an order for one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Straight answer, look to used and snap it (whatever "it" is) as soon as advertised

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Really it’s getting on the phone and ringing dealers. For instance VW has a couple of ships coming into port from last week and I believe next week. They may have included a few extra that will go to dealers.

for instance personally I know from work of a id3 tour 5 that should be available in a month or less that is a cancelled order. They cancelled and got a model 3 instead. But have no idea if it’s already been claimed, etc.

• Advertisement

ah id beg to differ, the modern car has an enormous amount of electronics, this is probably even more the case with electric, some believing this can be as much as hundreds, if not thousands of chips, start multiplying that by typical factory outputs, and you got a serious problem, if you cant get them, quickly enough! add in all of the other disruptions of supply chains, and you d be lucky to get the shell of a car created in a factory. id say complex supply chains and complex manufacturing facilities such as cars, are all over the place, then add in the increase in demand..... forget about it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭eagerv

I think some on here have recently ordered a Tesla Model 3. While delivery was quoted as 2023, it now looks like possibly later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭monseiur

Not exactly answering your question but if you need an EV and can't wait up to a year for a new one there's a good selection of used one for sale in the UK. A quick look at one UK website shows 315 VW's 475 Audi's 59 Toyota's 765 Nissan's etc. etc. With import duties etc they're not cheap but something to consider until the market settles down in two to three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

that may be the case for consumer electronics, but there are massive delays for enterprise electronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭monseiur

I'm no expert on E cars but take for example this random sample off a website : VW ID4 City 52 KWH registered July 2021 mileage 5,860 Price £38,990 (sterling) comes with warranty. I would assume that the battery should be good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Theres huge delays with all types of cars. ICE, PHEV and BEV….

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭micks_address

read an article on batteries over the weekend. Was basically saying should be good for 5 to 6 years.. after that they will need to be replaced. It was talking more from the angle of recycling facilities for batteries as its a very complex process... have to be basically melted at extreme temperatures or using acid to melt them down.. there is a server shortage of facilities compared to the number of ev cars being sold...

yea im hearing something similar, and battery replacements arent coming in cheap, some as much as 10k+, thats gonna be a problem for many, including myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

There are so many variables when it comes to battery life that it's really impossible to say how long each one will last. e.g. has it been fast charged at lot, how many charging cycles has it gone through, is it routinely charged to 100% and/or discharged to 0%, does the car have good battery management etc

• Advertisement

...and by any chance is our serious lack of public chargers, badly effecting all of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

We were in County Louth on business last week, saw signs at several charging stations stating maximum stay was three hours. It was from Louth County Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The Nissan Leaf is 12yrs old, Zoe is 10yrs. If the batteries only lasted 5yrs none of them older than that, would be still be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Painful to keep hearing these myths regarding battery life still..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Total jibberish, I sold our Leaf at 5 years old and battery at 92%, sold our Tesla Model S at 7 years old and battery at 91%

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Exactly. I’ve a 2012 Leaf and it has 9 of 12 bars remaining. And that’s the one with the worst battery chemistry of the lot.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The other reason there is a severe shortage in recycling facilities is that it it just doesn't make sense yet. There is more economic value in finding a use for the battery cells than recycling them for raw materials. The order of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle matters, a 2nd life is better than recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

It would be interesting to see what percentage of the older EVs are still on the road, and compare it to the percentage of ICE vehicles from the same year still on the road.

There is constant misinformation being spread about the lifespan of batteries. Yes, the range drops over time, but its a gradual drop. It doesn't just work perfectly and then drop to 0. The same happens with ICE vehicles - they get less efficient with time, but people generally don't notice because they just fill up as required. Most people don't travel beyond the range of an EV, even an older EV, on a daily basis.

The degradation of a battery is mostly based on age, how quickly it gets charged and if it has spent a lot of time sitting with very high or very low states of charge. If the battery is mostly slow charged (true of most EVs in the country) and has not been left sitting fully charged or with a very low state of charge, then the degradation is minimal. This country is almost perfect for EVs as the temperatures don't generally get too hot or too cold.

Why do you have to get a good bit of the way back? If you have to make a stop coming back anyway, what difference does it make where it is, provided you can charge at a decent speed? Also, is there any possibility of destination charging wherever you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Volvo C40's are supposed to be for delivery in Dec. Might be some for Sep if not gone already.

• Advertisement

It's to client sites so no option for destination charging in most cases unfortunately. If it wasn't for work then long range wouldn't need to be a factor for the vast majority of my driving.

By make it a good bit of the way back, I mean if I head from home (Kildare) to Dublin (office) and then have to go to Cork at short notice for example, I want to be able to get there non-stop and then get back onto the M8 comfortably and pull in to charge at a location where I'd naturally be stopping anyway (even in the diesel I wouldn't do a there and back non-stop both ways).

I'd also like the headroom to allow for busy/out of action chargers to still be able continue on without worrying I'll not make it to the next service station.

My fear - irrational as it may be - is I'll be facing into a drive back the whole way headed full on into a gale force wind on a freezing cold, wet winter's night and be constantly glued to the dash hoping I'll make it to the next working charger in time.

Advertisement