Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Change in Salary

Options
  • 26-06-2022 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Im 20 plus in a MNC working in various Ops roles, but never in Sales. However I’m part of the Sales division. I’ve always just been on a straight reference salary so no commissions / OTE etc. A decision at WW is that everyone within the Sales org must be on commission plan even if they are not Sales. The benefit is that there is potential to earn an additional payout. OTE is 143%. However my issue is the Sales plan is 45/55. So in real terms my take home pay on a monthly basis drops approx 25% and commission will be paid at the quarter. My issue is that I’ve mortgage/bills etc that are obviously monthly and I’ve made decisions based on that. What rights do I have her to object been paid below the reference salary. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pomodoro

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mactheknife19

No I don’t believe I am guaranteed to get back to my reference salary. I suspect at the end of the day I will get to that at least and likely a little better when you work out your salary on a quarter or half year. But on a individual month 2 out 3 months I will definitely be down and I don’t think that should be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Its also worth noting that most bonuses / pay increases/ pension contributions are a percentage of your base salary so be very careful in accepting any reduction in basic.

tbh I'd be rejecting this in any case, as you have no control on the sales but your wages are impacted by others. no thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It the timing of the payments the big issue or the amount? If it is just timing then there are solutions - wages advance, loan, overdraft etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mactheknife19

Both really. Don't have huge confidence in the ability to achieve the OTE number. Thats coming from me as never been a sales person (not my skill set), plus the company is not on the up. I don't think the wage advance is longer an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You can say "no", they apply the change anyway, you complain to the WRC, the company look for ways to get rid of you. (They can afford a better lawyer than you can.)

Can you look for a transfer to a different organisation, ie outside Sales?

Have you looked for jobs elsewhere? (Ie Can you earn as much in the market as you do now).

In calculating the effect of the short months, have you taken account of tax? Remember you pay almost no tax on the first 18k you earn, and roughly about 25% on 18-35k. Provided you're taxed on a cumulative basis (you should be), the impact may not be as big as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

The WRC is chock full of very expensive lawyers, failing to save employers cash, because said employer failed to follow fair procedures . and that's where the employee has been at fault to some degree. this is something entirely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Assuming that you're based in Ireland then they simply cant change your contract without your agreement.

If they do and you suffer financially as a result then they are in breach of contract and any solicitor worth their salt would be able to win a case if you choose to do so.

If as Mrs O B suggests that they look for ways to get rid of you then you could then sue them again for constructive dismissal (harder to prove than breach of contract ) and potentially get another payout.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The OP would get awards, ie the court would say they are due XYZ compensation.

Actually getting hold of the cash may be harder.

And in the meantime, lawyers would need to be paid anyway, and job hunting could be made difficult by the reputation you would get.

Sometimes it's better to be pragmatic rather than legalistic.

Advertisement