Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water very hot

Options
  • 26-06-2022 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭

When I put on heating to heat water at home, it is too hot. To the stage that you can't keep your hand in it.

Not sure how I'd adjust?

This is the only gauge of any sort I can see in the hot press. Not sure if it's connected or not as I turned it down in the past and didn't seem to have had any effect.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

There may be another one on the cylinder itself, underneath the cover where the the wire goes in. Turn off the power to it before u go at it. This is presuming you are using the electricity to heat it and not a boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Are you heating from a boiler? That's where the thermostat is. That one looks like what we have for a pump from the back boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Heating it using the oil.

Sorry, plumbing ain't my forte!

Is this it?

• Advertisement

Why do you say that?

Because the temp is set at the lower end, but the waters still roasting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭John.G

The boiler stat is set to ~ 68C which is normal enough but if you don't have a motorized valve controlling the cylinder temperature then the cylinder will reach close to the boiler temperature, the yellow pipe stat is measuring some pipe flow temperature, maybe you have solid fuel as well, then this could be used to switch on/off the solid fuel circ pump. If you have cylinder temperature control then you should find a cylinder stat which looks like that pipe stat but will be strapped directly on to the (bared) cylinder ~ 18ins from the bottom and you will have a motorized valve on the inlet (top) pipe on the coil heating the cylinder.

Many thanks for the detailed reply John G, but that was like another language!

I'll speak to a plumber.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Do you ever have to reset anything at the boiler?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

No. Would get it serviced every couple of years, outside of that nothing.

It had a part replaced at last service, and was told its seen better days, but seems to be still working OK for now. Its approx 20/21 yrs old, think it's the original one when house was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭John.G

If the boiler (burner) is cutting in and out then most likely that nothing wrong with the boiler stat, if there was then the boiler would lock out on the hi limit safety stat which has to be manually reset.

No, it cuts in and out as normal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Anything in that range is going to feel very hot to the touch. Even taking into account the heat loss along the way, it's still going to feel like it's too hot.

You could have a cylinder stat fitted or a tempering valve.

If the temperature seemed ok in the past, what has changed since then? Perhaps that boiler stat is faulty, but switching off well before the high limit activates. You dont happen to have an immersion fitted that's remaining on?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

No, immersion switch hasn't worked in a few years.

The water was always hot, this isn't a new thing.

I'll follow up on the advice given, thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

either but a cylinder stat on cylinder wired back to the boiler that cuts out the boiler when set temperature is reached. or put a thermostatic mixing valve on it to blend the water to the correct temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭jimf

most likely the run stat on boiler is gone out of calibration

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

I agree, new stat needed, it's a common enough complaint. Water getting very hot, but not quite hot enough to shut off on the emergency overheat button, which is about 90°c ( under little black cover )

It's not as accurate as it once was, or it's slipped out of the boiler a bit and not making good contact.

Advertisement