Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving away from home

Options
  • 26-06-2022 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Have a chance at going to Australia for a while for work and it’s a great opportunity. I have spent two years in Aus before so I know I will be fine but this time around I have kids who will be staying at home. Of course I will travel home as much as I can and it won’t be a permanent move just would like people who have been in similar position to reach out with your story and how your experience went! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Wouldn’t do it if I had kids but that’s just what I think. Your kids are only kids once

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ben10afc

Thanks for your input. They will be coming out Over July/august holidays and I will be home for two months also. Suppose all I can do is try it and see if it works for all of us. If not - head home.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Not knocking you, as this Country is nearly impossible for a Family to survive. I wouldn't be able to do it. I'd imagine it would be horrible mentally for you and very lonesome. Good luck in whatever you decide for you and your Family.

Yes that’s my concern. It will be lonely. But it’s for all the right reasons - it’s a great opportunity and one that will set us up for the future here and as I said it’s only temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

How long are we talking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

To be honest it sounds like you're doing it for the right reason, for their future and not a working holiday where the craic is 90 that you may or may not have experienced before. If they'd be out to you and you'd be home for 2 months too, in the greater picture it may be worthwhile. Things worth having don't come easy springs to mind (not to over simplify things)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

As another poster has said kids are only young once. I know people who worked hard all their lives and made great money. There were able to help children buy houses and educate them etc. The trade off was missing a lot of milestones and life events. Most say now it wasnt worth it. You cant make those memories again.

It wouldnt be for me but the very best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Hi, it will be a year, with me going home for 2 months and them coming out for 2 months also

Hi, yea I done the whole working holiday thing 10 years ago. This will be purely work related.

I get that yeah. Thanks for the input. It will be for a year. It will be tough 100% but hopefully when I look back on it I can think what was a year in the grand scheme of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

A year is a long time, even with two-month stints breaking it up. How does your wife feel about essentially being a single parent for the duration? My ex-husband was military and did overseas stints of 6 months at a time and that was tough, even without kids.

She’s happy enough knowing what it will do for us financially. She says we won’t know unless we try and that if she likes it when she’s out here she would consider moving , but again we won’t know until we try it. I have lived in Aus before she hasn’t.

Advertisement