Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get down to Brown Thomas lads

• 25-06-2022 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

I was in to check out the sale in Dublin and they're running low on stock you'll have to get in there sharpish grab this bargain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ah here. If they are selling in Brown Thomas, do they have the rights to all the artwork and games/ROMs I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I confirmed with the floor manager that all 3000 roms have been cleared with their respective rights holders before handing over my money.

Anybody wanna buy mine before I stick it up on Ebay?I put a few fag burns on the panel this evening and a couple of crystals fell off when I dropped it but they'll probably glue back on its basically new old stock really.

Lol they're carbon neutral and fully recyclable. Do Sanwa make bat top joysticks or is that nonsense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Seemly they do - Sanwa LB-30N

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Great news! I regularly recycle things that I spent 15k on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭dav09

15k for some fake diamonds and a 200 quid cabinet, I'm in.

Anyone want to start a crowdfunder? I'll chip in a tenner.

Master of the Universe

Sell your Afterburner DX to fund it, sure it only plays one game - this plays 3000. Absolute no brainer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Slap a Supreme sticker on it and I'll take it for 20k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Im emailing Nintendo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭geotrig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭dav09

Lol, the mad thing is I'd say if I sold that plus the other 20+ cabs in my collection I probably still would struggle to fund it, I would say it's the same with a lot of people here even with their pin collections. To make matters worse I think it looks abysmal and tacky. Like who would actually buy that crap even if you were a millionare? I have no clue the worth of anything like precious metals or diamonds or whatever but I hope there's 14.5k worth of swarovski crystals in there for whoever purchases it sake's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

I looked at that and seen €15.00 and it STILL looks cheap for that price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You're making the mistake of equating having money with having class and taste.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was just checking the photo, didn't see the black and white tiles

I tell you what. If you have a very big posh mansion it would look really well in a Pantry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

My respect goes to whomever flogged that to BT, there’s a decent chance they’re laughing all the way to the bank if they even got 10% of the retail on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'd assume, Brown Thomas are only retailing it for them, they might not see any money until a sale has gone through.

As an aside, I've not been keeping up with things here, but for that money, wouldn't a CRT be preferable?

Master of the Universe

The kind of person who spends 15k on one of these is probably the same kind of person who wouldn't want a CRT in one as it's 'old' and they want 'the latest OLED'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"Can it play Doom?"

I'd be surprised if it didn't come with the cheapest off the shelf LCD screen with black levels that could blind someone.

The other cabinet they had on display was using a curved LCD PC monitor. Truly a bizarre choice.

You see people do this all the time with watches. If the diamonds are factory set then the watch is still worth what you paid (assuming its a well regarded brand). If its 'busted down' after market most of the time they're taking a 15k watch, putting 2k of junk diamonds on there and then trying to charge a rapper/influencer 50 grand for it. End result is the watch isn't even worth the 15k it was originally.

But what if I want to get iced out!

Do they have diamond necklaces with the sega logo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

It’s your man https://miniarcadesystems.com/

Follow his Instagram for all the latest and greatest🤣

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CfQuGzkA88K/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I guess he’s getting the last laugh selling €250 Pandora bartops for thousands to stupid rich people

Only 1 person n on the planet could have bought that :eek: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CgTYIEuAPve/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Master of the Universe

Haha, I knew exactly who that was going to be before even clicking on it.

Whoever owns that mini arcade systems site seems to be doing quite well for themselves, have you seen the prices for the full arcade machines?

'Full sized arcade' - €2,100.00 – €2,450.00

For what I'm sure amounts to no more than a wooden cabinet with an LCD, a pandora box and some arcade sticks and buttons.

It's sad really as I quite like the idea of regular folks getting these into their homes to keep the interest going in old games, just such a shame about the gouging prices.

I'm sure he has licenses for all those roms.

I've seen them in person. Build quality and artwork print quality are really good. Lovely finish to them

Doesn't count for taste though

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

That's the thing, they do look decent quality. For 2-2.5k though you'd expect 3-4 of them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Keeping whiskey - even McGregor's whiskey - in a fridge is (correctly) a criminal offence in many countries.

Joysticks are tight as ****, was knackered after a game of insectorX

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

Would anyone know of any other reputable places to buy an arcade system similar to these?

I was looking at Mini Arcade Systems initially but just cant justify the price really

Thanks!

Master of the Universe

Unfortunately most of the reputable ones are also price gouging :(

Are you looking for a bartop one or a full standing one?

Is it just a bit of a novelty unit or is it for someone who's genuinely into videogames as a hobby?

If you're looking for a bartop, there are actually quite a few on adverts.ie at the moment that people have made themselves for a lot cheaper than what these companies are selling.

Novelty stand up units, look into arcade1up machines. They're flat packed and you assemble them themselves.

People have also been modifying them and putting loads of games on. This is pretty expensive for what it is, but it's still miles cheaper than those mini arcade system units.

If you want a genuine arcade machine and not one of these modern MDF '1 million games in one unit!' types of things, you can get one for sub 1000 euro.

Which makes those mini arcade system machines seem even more ridiculously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

Cheers for the reply!

We got our attic converted recently ive turned it into a bit of a gaming room 😬 I was looking for a bartop / full size just to add to the room really and have a game on from time to time

I had a look on adverts and went with a person who makes them himself, went with the bartop for portability hopefully now it will be grand and do the job! 😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement