Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil or Electricity

Options
  • 25-06-2022 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Now home heating oil has risen to 1.50 per litre and im paying 17.70 per kw for electricity is it cheeper to use the immerstion heater than the oil . I have a new pre lagged Cylinder and a new firebird boiler.

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭denismc

12 months ago I would have said oil would be cheaper for heating water,

At todays prices there is very little between oil and electricity for heating water, the only difference is if your cylinder has a single coil for heating then you are going to have to heat the whole tank using the boiler, where as the immersion will allow you to heat smaller volumes at a time if required .

Answers

I use the immersion in the Summer, now I pay around 12 c/Kwh on night rate.

I am looking at replacing the heating either way this year with pellet boiler stove, need to replace the heating anyway and most of the rads + will get 2-3 zones if the plumbing allows for that.

Pellets would out 2 - 2.5 times cheaper than Oil but probably nearer 3 times as more and more oil companies won't allow you purchase more than 300 litres costing 12 c more per litre than if you get 1000 litres.

Locally produced pellets too from Laois sawmills, rather than depending on foreign energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭riddles

The pellet stove will this be in the living room space or somewhere else. My oil burner isnt very efficient was looking at replacing it but not sure what direction to go in - its in a converted garage. To put a pellet stove in the living room for a boiler to the rads I have a major over haul and to get the pellet stove in where the boiler currently sits I would only need one that heats the boiler but not emitting heat. I am close to that sawmill as well

You're in a better position than I am, you have an existing boiler in the shed. It would be an easy enough swap, my Oil boiler is outside at the gable end of the house and the pellet boilers need to be in a shed. The Oil stove in the Kitchen/Dining area isn't plumbed in so pipes will have to go around 10 meters under the kitchen/hall floor or up the wall behind the stove into the attic and rip up the attic floors and down to the hot press.

A plumber is supposed to call in this evening to take a look, he was supposed to call last week..... I need most of the rads replaced, 2 or 3 zones and some form of proper electronic control.

The real issue is getting reliable People to do the work who will come when they say and who will do a good job because no doubt we'll be charged enough.

Anyway sounds like boiler in the shed is a good plan for you and they sell the 1.2 Tonne bags even cheaper if you have somewhere to store them. You can always get another non boiler stove for the living area when you don't want to heat the whole house and to look nice.

We were looking at the Klover stoves there in the garden centre beside the sawmill so pop in and have a look, of course we need a 30 Kw stove and they didn't have any there they were smaller but Klover have a website. We were looking at the Klover Diva 3000 slim stove but it has no fan to blow out the hot air and I'm not sure how well that will circulate the heat compared to one that blows out the hot air.

Think it's 24 Kw to the Water and 7 Kw to the room give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭riddles

Would this be an alternative option as it’s not needed to blow out heat doesn’t need to look pretty in the shed https://www.ecoangus.ie/ecoangus_images/super65/index.html

That's only for logs not pellets. Think Klover do the external boilers too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement