Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a trellis or fencing query

Options
  • 25-06-2022 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Maybe this is a construction query but I hope someone can help, I recently moved in to a new home and the one slight concern is that the back garden wall between my house and the neighbours is only about 5ft, the garden is on an incline too so the wall gets lower as you walk to the end, where it is about 4ft. The neighbours spend alot of time on their garden, BBQs etc, they seem quite nice. But that said I would like some privacy and not have to engage in conversation every time I step outside, which sounds unfriendly but it’s nice to have your own private space. My question is if I was to add a trellis to extend the height or fencing, should I ask their permission? Or have I a right to just go ahead. It’s a tricky one. Just wondering if anyone had any experience about navigating something like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭standardg60

You may legally raise it to 2.1 metres. Sure just mention that you're planning it to give you both a bit of privacy, be worse to just throw it up and give them the wrong impression that you're sick of them (even if you are!)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Captain Kidd

Ha, thanks, my worry is mentioning it to them and they say they’re not happy with the idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sunbathe in Speedos. They'll offer to pay for a fence.

😂 yes, how do I make them put up the fence!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Will the fence cast a significant shadow into their garden? Its actually unlikely to make that much difference, but be aware. Don't so much ask permission as observe pleasantly that it might be nicer to have a bit of fencing to give you both more privacy, see what the reaction is. Then just go ahead and put up the fence/trellis. Make sure it looks tidy on their side as well as yours, and is on your side of the wall. Remain pleasant and chatty with them and just stick with the positives if it comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭randomguy

If this is a party wall (ie the middle of the wall is the boundary, and it is a wall therefore shared by both of you) then you really should discuss any work with them in advance, and seek their permission (out of courtesy, but also because of the tricky legal position on party walls - google it). While technically you could perhaps get around the legal issue by putting the trellis/fence up on your side, so that it is fixed to your side but sticking up above the level of the wall, rather than sitting on the top in the middle, you are messing with a shared piece of property and you really should agree it.

If the wall is entirely on your property, then work away without their permission, but flag in advance that you are going to do it out of courtesy.

It’s the dividing wall running between the two gardens. The problem is that it is about 4.5ft. The neighbour has a bbq against the wall and when cooking is practically staring into my garden. We’ve only moved in so cautious. Our gardens are south facing, there’s a possibility a fence might cast a shadow in the evening and maybe why they have always left it but I will observe the current wall shadow to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

If your concerned what they may think, act very excited when you tell them but play dumb and if they get weird about it pretend to care.

They cant call you an asshole then, and judging by what their problem is you can do it anyway and not care, or come to a solution that suits them but not you really.

Thanks, sorry for the late reply. Still considering how to approach it!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Calculator123

Instead of raising the height of the fence, why not plant something along it that will reach a sufficient height. Could be hedging, trees, shrubs or a mixture of all - good choices would bring colour and interest to both gardens. Lots of options, especially if it's summer privacy in particular you seek. A much less harsh approach and would avoid need for any consultation or potential animosity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭standardg60

😂 a few other priorities to take care of first! That said maybe I’ll get old I’m my consideration and shrink below the wall line!

Advertisement