Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washer and dryer in bathroom

Options
  • 24-06-2022 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Is there any safe/ complaint way to fit a washing machine and tumble dryer in a bathroom? Perhaps in a cupboard of some sort? I had this when living overseas and it would work layout wise in my current house but not sure about the rules. Thanks

Post edited by houseyhouse on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,910 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ireland and the UK don't even allow light switches in bathrooms, let alone power sockets, whereas other countries, like Australia, do allow such things.

So no, it's against the regs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I'm pretty sure. I've seen washer/dryer in a bathroom on one of those home improvement shows based in the UK...the one with Nick Knowles

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I don't see anything in IS10101 that states that this is not permitted.

If spur outlets are used sockets aren’t required.

So I would argue that appliances such as washing machines can be installed in bathrooms outside of zones 0, 1, 2 and 3.

Post edited by 2011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

l saw mention of zones elsewhere when I looked this up. Am I right in thinking zone 3 extends as far as 3 meters from the edge of the bath? This would make it a non runner for me, I think. Bathroom is 4m long so the edge of the bath to the machine would be less than 3m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Thank you. I did see those but wasn’t sure if those rules still apply or if regs has had changed since. Looking at those threads again, it looks like you can have the washer and dryer in the bathroom within 3 meters of the bath (but more than .6 meters away) if it’s hardwired in. To use a socket it needs to be further away. I would never want a socket in a bathroom anyway and would be more comfortable with hardwired so that’s fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cork of course

Table 701.1 Describes Electrical equipment permissible in rooms containing a bath or shower within the zones

Zone three extends 3 metres from the edge of bath or shower.

As per 2Table 701.1 permitted equipment

As in zone 2, and in addition:

Accessories for equipment in zone 3.

Wall-outlets for appliances in zone 3.

Socket-outlets, at SELV only.

Wall-switches, at SELV only.

Cord-operated switches 2,25 m from floor.

Advertisement