Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Go Cars Opinions?

Options
  • 24-06-2022 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭

Have just signed up - awaiting approval...

Just wondering is there any kind of catch to them? Like do they have dash cams if you happen to be in an accident to prove fault?

The €1500 charge in case of accident is fine but don't wanna be stuck with it because of he said/she said - checked the website and couldn't find anything about it. I'm pondering the €100 waiver (brings it down to €250 liability) but not sure I would use it enough or even required for a very safe driver.

I have had a clean licence for a very long time and never had an accident, just don't bother with owning a car in Dublin (be lucky to even get parking) but there's times when a car would be handy for a quick jaunt here or there - they have a couple of drop off points a few minutes walk from me

Is there anything I should be doing if I do hire one like full video around the car before hiring...????

I guess I'm asking is there any horror stories from previous clients

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

Limited experience - been a member for years, but only use them sporadically.

Only problems I've seen were the occasional car or van with flat tyres - but the support team were usually quite helpful in those situations.

Occasionally another user will leave the car back with a less-than-ideal amount of fuel, but that's covered with a Circle-K fuel card in the glove-box. Generally "does what it says on the tin".

No harm to take a few pics / walkaround video before you start off, especially if there's visible damage on the car already (and there often is) - ass-covering, but you only lose 30 seconds doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Before you set off, the App will prompt you to answer about cleanliness of the car. You can then enter details of any damage via the app to cover yourself to not being blamed for damage. Check out the GoGuide section of the app.

I use it once in a while to hire a van to move stuff and never had an issue to date, thankfully. And I have a referral code too that gives you a €25 discount on your first trip, which then earns me a €25 voucher too

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

I've used the vans a few times and they were always rough as fook but did the job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

bring a brush if you’re hiring a van. Other than that I always found them great. With the standard of driving since the pandemic dropping so much, I’d buy a dash cam and bring it along myself for peace of mind if using it solo.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭zg3409

Firstly main catch is you need to park them back where you got them, which can be inconvenient. If you don't follow the parking rules and say it gets clamped 48 hours later then you are billed the release fee. Make sure you park exactly in the parking spot as I have seen gocars clamped for being half way between marked spaces. They are handy targets for clampers as they are parked all day and night.

They are relatively expensive and they do have longer term cars and deals. If going away for a weekend you should compare prices to normal car hire.

Driving in the city in a car you don't know well and on a route you don't know well is a recipe for a crash. Take it very handy when in busy areas. Beware of speed vans and speeding. Maybe bring a car phone holder and use your own personal phone as a sat nav if heading anywhere you are unsure.

If you used to have a car and car insurance consider being even "named" on someone else's policy so you don't lose all your no claims bonus when you go back to having your own car in a few years time. You don't want to start driving your own car again and get quotes of 4000 euro for insurance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement