Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for going to my first golf tournament as a spectator?

Options
  • 23-06-2022 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

What are the do's and don't s ?

Best Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Don't drive, do drink. Follow one player through the whole 18, then go back to 15/16/17 and watch all the names pass through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭billyhead

Bring a rain mac😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

You must say "get in the hole" for evert shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭standardg60

Bring plenty of food, you'll be hungrier than you think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Pick a nice group. Good swings/games but no big names that will draw the massive crowd. Walk with them for an hour or two or three, You'll get real close, practically walk with them and see what tour pro golf really looks like, warts n all. Along the way scout the good food stalls. Have a nice break then at one of those. Pick another nice group and proceed to some good view point where you have a couple of greens in view ideally a par 3. In Mt Juliet in around 11, 13, 14 wouldn't be a terrible spot. 13 is a tough shot with water in front of the green (probably not tough for them) and 11 & 14 are good par 3s. Enjoy the day, I'll be there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Motivator

If you’re going to Mt Juliet then forget about following any players for the first 6 holes. Stand up on the bank by the 7th green, watch them play into 7 and then tee off on 8. Watching the pros let rip on a long par 5 is something else. Wander over to the 9th green and watch them play in to that then go across to the 10th and follow them down that hole. Watch them play into 11 and leave them there, wander across to the 13th green and watch them play in to that - It’s a great hole. Leave the 14th alone, it’ll draw a crowd and make your way across to the 15th or the 16th then across to the 17th tee to watch them let rip with drivers again. Leave them off down 17 and wander across to the 18th green to watch the approaches.

I did that exact routine twice a day for 4 days with my wife last year and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Don’t bother trying to follow Lowry etc - You’ll only annoy yourself trying to get a look

Do wear comfy runners

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bracken60

Very helpful, thank you.. we will be there on the Saturday, is it recommended to get there early?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bracken60

Cheers that's great info!

Advertisement