If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

RF111 & Tax Arrears Query - help greatly appreciated

  • 23-06-2022 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

    I've a UK import yoke - UK date of first registration 14-01-1992 so it's 30 years old. It's in my name

    The arrears are from 01/10/2020 - €5427

    So my questions are :

    Can I send off the RF111 and get it converted to vintage with these arrears?


    If not, do I transfer it to someone else with a purchase date of 01/07/2022 to avoid any arrears being due, then do the RF111

    I can't recall if you transfer it in the same month, or in the month before to avoid the arrears at all.

    Any help would be appreciated here.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

    "In the case of a second hand vehicle (taxed before), motor tax is charged from the beginning of the month of sale of the vehicle. Arrears become due from the beginning of the month after sale."

    Does this mean I transfer it to someone else on the first of July, and send the buke off on the 1st of July?

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭gipi

    Yes, transfer it in July, tax is due from July.

    If you transferred it in June, tax would be due from June 1st.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

    Right, here's the definitive story from the tax office.

    The Tax Office (Blackhall Place) state that a Vin/Vet vehicle must be taxed in order for it to be transferred to €56 rate.

    If your vehicle is out of tax, they send out a letter with a debit/credit card form. If you fill this out they will debit you €56 and tax the car from there on in.

    What happened with me is that the Tax Office stated in a letter that the vehicle must be taxed at the prevailing rate before they can convert it. So I went and paid the €600-odd to tax it for a quarter. When I sent this tax disc and form in to the guy in the Tax Office, he rang me back and stated that the letter was worded in a confusing manner.

    He then refunded me €600 - €56 to my card, and a Vin/Vet €56 tax disc was sent out to me.

    So as long as you can reach a human in the tax office, you can get your out-of-tax Vin/Vet car retaxed at a €56 rate, eventually.

    The guy I was dealing with was called Carl, an EO in Blackhall Place.

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

    I had a car transferred to vintage without taxing it, did it earlier this year.

    I submitted the form and declared it off the road immediately after.

  • Advertisement