Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spouse as named driver on car insurance policy after divorce

Options
  • 21-06-2022 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

As per multiple previous posts here, spouses are often named drivers on each others' cars as it frequently reduces cost of premiums. I got divorced last year and my car insurance is now up for renewal. Irrespective of whether it is still cheaper to insure my car with my ex as a named driver, I am concerned that because they are no longer my spouse that this might invalidate the policy.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You often have to put the relationship in as well. You won't be able to put in spouse as its not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Advise the insurance company that she is no longer your spouse. It may have not been a factor when calculating your premium but it case it was, you need to tell them. Even though she's no longer your spouse, it may still reduce your premium if you have a person with a full licence on the policy as a named driver so ask how it will affect the premium if you keep her as a named driver.

Advertisement