Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are new cars available?

Options
  • 20-06-2022 3:38pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I mean in stock from a dealer?

I'm being told nothing is available, and they've no idea when new stock will become available.

Semi conductor shortages and the Ukraine are oft mentioned reasons why.

I'm not sure I believe them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Very generic OP post....Manufacturer/model etc is important as there is some brand new cars for sale in some garages.

Example - I see a local ford garage has brand new cars in stock for sale. Focus models - (North west area)

Can be anything from 3 -24 months for a new car order.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why don't you believe them? They hardly don't want to sell you a car?

Most popular models are not available until some time next year at the earliest. Chip shortage, Covid 19 lockdowns at car factories, pent up demand and supply chains heavily disrupted due to the Russia/Ukraine war where many car components came from. The perfect storm really.

The only things in stock now are probably not very popular models.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Funny thing is that there actually are a few new cars in stock around the country.

I've spoken to a couple of salesmen and they couldn't account for the difference in their price and the manufacturers even after the normal add ons (delivery and metallic paint).

One of them claimed an employee discount didn't apply when I had it on paper in front of me.

Wouldn't encourage you to do business with them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Wait till Taiwan start firing off some gun powder and the horse and cart will come out.

Does the dealer still get the same margin on the car irrespecitve of the employee discount? If not then selling the car at near full retail is more attractive to them.

Its also possible that they prefer to deal with trade-ins over a straight deal as they can sell the trade in on a nice margin too. I heard of at least one main dealer doing this around limited allocation of a new model. Customer with a trade-in moved up the waiting list over those without a trade-in. I'd imagine there are more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I know in our brands theres a good bit of stock available if you arent after a particular colour etc.

Honda have no models available unless you want a new Jazz or CRV -Civic and HRV are finished until the new models arrive in October/November or so. Opel have a bit of stock around and the new astra is being launched next week with I believe 200 cars available for immediate sale in the country now.

It all depends on what you are looking for - Special order vehicle are up to a 6 month wait. Its all over the place at the minute.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Margin is the same I think. Volume rebates apply too.

I have a fairly new car (10 months old) with ultra low mileage, which is available. You'd imagine they'd be more than keen to secure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

There's definitely stock of cars around, I know 3 people who ordered this year with less than 2 months wait, only because they were cancellations or from stock though. Depends on what you want though. Some people aren't being too fussy and taking stuff that's actually available, otherwise you're looking at up to a 12 month wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Manufacturers are advertising on tv so one would assume they are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I wonder if high demand, fewer car sales and higher car prices will be a more prominent feature of the car market moving forwards as working practices move us to less commuting and less need for a 2 car family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

That is an incorrect assumption. There's loads of models being advertised that you physically cannot order at the moment. A dealer may take your deposit and put you on a list, but the car won't be ordered for a while until the order bank for 2023 opens, and that could be September/October with some manufacturers, and even then, they won't know whether they have enough allocation to fulfill what's already on the list, until later in the year.

Henry - what are you looking for? No Focus's as I believe the fancy new massive touchscreen in the centre of the dash, is made in the Ukraine, so it's not being made so they can't build the cars. Fiesta just had a mid-life refresh and there's production delays there - still waiting on 2 Fiesta Vans ordered in APRIL 2021!!!

Probably a few Petrol Puma's around. There was a load of Diesel Kuga's dumped to Ireland at the start of the year - they were supposed to be PHEV's but Ford didn't have the parts, so built diesels instead. I'd say they are all gone at this stage though.

You're on the ball as always R.O.R.

Focus always suited me tbh but you're spot on - the Synch 4 module is indeed produced in the Ukraine it seems. They are reducing production numbers too I'm reading and will call time on the model altogether in a few years.

I'd look at a Puma - there's a better engine these times - 155bhp. Can't find any though.

p.s. If I win the Euromillions a Mustang would be next. No shortage of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I know the Ioniq 5 is not available at all, until new year and as mentioned that is just to go on a waiting list in all likelihood, doubt if they will be shipping 5000 of them in on January 1st, or even in January for that matter.

Update: New car is being delivered tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Speaking of Ford new Fiesta is gone from Ford website for a some time now and when looking at Focus you will see this:

Seems like dealers have some in stock and being delivered, but generally supply is poor and will be for a while.

A new car in stock is quite rare I'm told. They are talking about new orders being fulfilled next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

is it possible to get a Nissan Micra?

I'd say so, buyers are hardly queuing out the door for them and there is a new model due next year so it might be a good time to haggle on one.

Only a dealer will tell you for sure though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Tesla have model 3 in stock.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Anyone buying a RWD Model 3 today for €53k will be able to keep it for a year, and then sell it for a profit!! as most likely the same car in 6 months will cost €58k as the SEAI grant will be gone, but even if the grant remains, these cars are currently being sold for more than they were bought for!!

The market truly is nuts at the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Below gives an idea of current delivery times for Audi/VW/Skoda/Seat (In German):

Currently waiting on an Octavia myself going on 9+ months now with some possibility of seeing it in October. Was expected to have it in May

If you were to order one now it tells you "Probably from Q3/2023".

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Feets

Saw one electric i pace jaguar today and landrover defenders. And the defenders were the only new car available in that dealership. Couldnt get a quote for a 2023 discovery. So what ever was there was all they could guarantee. Audi had more...not much but more. Diesels are available to order for 2023 q1. No hybrids. Some etrons new. No q4's.

Advertisement