Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER Cert got worse

Options
  • 20-06-2022 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

I had a BER cert from late 2020 when I purchased my house which placed the energy usage at 270kWh/y, I replaced all the windows in the house in January and installed solar PV. In order to be paid the grant for solar PV I was required to get another BER done. This new BER has the house energy usage at 290kWh/y!! How is this possible? Have the SEAI completely moved the goalposts? I would have expected to be moving up the ladder, not down it.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

One (or both) assessors didn't input the right data.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

2 things where assessors data differed, 1st assessor used the boiler manufacturer and model and set the efficiency, he also included 250mm attic insulation.

2nd assessor defaulted boiler efficiency to 65% as the nameplate cannot be seen on the front of the boiler, he is also saying I've 75mm attic insulation but I think the solar installers moved some insulation from around the attic hatch when they were doing their install.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

It's normally better (and cheaper) to stick with the same Ber assessor if at all possible for this reason

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

I didn't get the previous BER done as the house was not mine at the time. I tried to call the previous assessor to arrange but didn't manage to get him.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,074 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

How did the first assessor see the boiler plate, and the 2nd couldn't?

did the 2nd take short cuts and not make much of an effort?

theres a huge difference between an attic having 75mm and 250mm. did the 2nd assessor actually go up into the attic to review the total insulation?

id suggest contacting the 2nd assessor, proving him with photographs of the boiler plate and insulation, and asking him to come back and properly assess the dwelling, or you will contact SEAi and make a formal complaint.

you say you changed the windows? did the 2nd assessor make any effort to explain to you, or request from you, the test certs for the windows and a letter from the supplier?

• Advertisement
Advertisement