Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid booster and pregnancy

Options
  • 19-06-2022 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all. I’m pregnant with my first (19 weeks) and so far so good thankfully.

I’ve had my two covid jabs and had a mild dose of covid in my first trimester which I have thankfully fully recovered from. Long before I even became pregnant I was reluctant to get the covid booster as I had an immediate heavy (and unusually early) period straight away after my first jab.

my consultant is putting pressure on me to get the booster while pregnant - even though I’ve already had covid. I’m just so frightened after my reaction to the first vaccine. My periods have never been early but the first vaccine caused a super early period. So, the effect of the first jab just has my brain associating “covid vaccine = unusual gynaecological response” and I’m terrified to get it while pregnant because of this connection, no matter how irrational that sounds.

I feel I’d only be getting the booster to placate my consultant.

i know only myself and to a lesser extent my partner can make this decision but I’m wondering for other ladies’ experiences. Specifically, did anyon else feel judged / criticised by the hospital for not being boosted or vaccinated while pregnant? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ladybird25

Hey, I suspect if you haven't had your baby yet you must be quite close to your due date. I was wondering if you ended up getting the booster?

I am 23 weeks now and I have been asked twice about it and I was really going to get one more for the baby than for myself, however I started to read about so many gynaecological problems after the vaccine that I did get nervous. I even got an appointment and end up cancelling. I need to go to my GP now for the wheeping cough vaccine and I know they are going to ask me about the COVID one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭anndub

I declined to have it due to the strange gynae issues I had immediately after my initial doses. I've always had a clockwork cycle but missed an entire period after the second booster and then when my period eventually arrived it was long and heavy. Things went back to normal after that but it left me uneasy, mostly because the HSE website still claims there is no link between COVID vaccines and unusual menstrual behaviour. I'd be much more assured if they validated that yes, it can temporarily affect cycles but there is no long term impact rather than deny an be issue ten of thousands of women have reported!

I've been lucky in that no body has put any pressure on me. I've been asked about it during my booking apt, when getting the flu jab and again when I got the whopping cough but it seemed to be just a box ticking excercise rather than anyone having much interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ladybird25

I am 30 weeks now and to be fair, I haven't got any more pressure on this. I did get ask during the wheeping cough vaccine but as you said it seemed more like a box ticking exercise. So I am going to keep ignoring it and taking care of myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭anndub

It's a strange one. I'm from a science background myself but struggled to find any fact based information on the current risks associated with COVID in pregnancy or the reasons for the menstrual changes post vaccine. Had I found info it might have changed my decision but without any I'm happy to decline

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭iniscealtra

I am 31 weeks and didn’t take it. No one out any pressure on me to take it to be fair. I did take the whooping cough vaccine and regular flu but not the Covid one. Just going to take it easy now until the birth, no big crowds etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement