Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Let SORD lapse on an uninsurable car, not sure how to pay tax arrears.

Options
  • 18-06-2022 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I'm 21 and own a 1994 Toyota Starlet and am essentially holding on to it until it becomes insurable for me. I accidentally let the SORD lapse as I moved away from the registered address and missed the reminder, and now I owe three months tax in arrears. As I need a valid insurance certificate to tax the car, how do I pay the arrears without an insurance policy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Sell it to someone and buy it back off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you just want to pay it, you can just make up a policy number. There is no check on what you enter under Insurance Details on the form.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

This is the info I got today.

"Unfortunately, it will not be possible to declare your vehicle off the road at the moment and I suspect that this is why you are experiencing difficulty with logging in online.

Essentially a vehicle can only be declared off the road in three scenarios.

In the last month of valid tax – this would have been March 2022 as I can see that the tax expired 31/03/22.

In the last month of a currently valid off road declaration – this scenario also won’t apply as I can see that there has never been a declaration submitted for this vehicle in the past.

21 days from the date of sale which you have bought – again this scenario also won’t apply as I can see that the vehicle has been in your name since 2017.

Effectively the only way you could declare this vehicle off the road is by taxing the vehicle for 3 months, this tax would run from 1st August until 31st October, the vehicle could then be declared off the road from November onwards."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭gipi

As Gant21 advised you back in June, if the car changes ownership, the new owner either taxes the car or declares it off the road.

Can you "sell" the car to a family member? Once they have declared it off the road, they can "sell" it back to you and you can declare it off the road.

The arrears will be written off when the car changes ownership.

Edit - just for clarity re your last paragraph - If you try to tax the car from August, you will have to pay the arrears from April before being allowed to tax it for 3 months.

I agree and that is what I understood but the last paragraph, which is a quote from the tax office, does not say that.

And in fact I cannot tax it anyway without Insurance being in force so you are stuck in a loop of unending tax liability until you dispose of the car (whichever way you want to do that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

And in fact I cannot tax it anyway without Insurance being in force so you are stuck in a loop of unending tax liability until you dispose of the car (whichever way you want to do that).

You have been told how to make the back tax disappear.

Also, you can enter made-up insurance details on the tax form, there is no check.

Not your ornery onager

I know this..... but what sort of system allows or forces this option upon you? Quite mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭w123

I put a car off the road 20 years ago and I'm thinking of getting it going again, I never declared it to the DoE, any ideas what the fine could be?

I understand that I transfer it to my wife to avoid the tax, can I just transfer it back to myself then by return?

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Yes, you can transfer the ownership to anyone and then back to you later. This will "clear" the back motor tax on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

typical bullshit sytstem.Why couldnt they do same as uk.When you declare off road it is up to you when you declare it back on whether its 6 months or 6 years or whatever.none of this every year declaring a car thats going to be off road for years.and if you happen to be away whe the renewal comes in as i was abroad when i came back i couldnt declare off road.Its a nonsense that you have to change ownership to sort it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement