If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

EV for January

  • 17-06-2022 11:59am
    Administrators Posts: 299 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

    This discussion was created from comments split from: Random EV thoughts......


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

    Would anyone have some advice on EV/PHEV etc. Looking to change car in January, am in the process of getting quotes for having the charger fit to the house. I'm looking at various cars but was hoping for an ID4 or Enyaq but with the delays meaning if I place an order now its potentially 12-14 months wait for the car. I had looked at the EV6 but wanted GT Line which is no longer an option. I do very little mileage these days which is why a BEV would be ideal but I'm not willing to spend 60k+ with no grant to order a car that might not arrive until late 2023.So all that said I'm now thinking of pushing out my move to BEV for a few years until I can actually get a car I want. I've looked at a PHEV Tucson/Santa Fe, Tiguan PHEV and the Kodiaq (traditional ICE). Are there any alternatives to those I've listed (not KIA, wife hates them unfortunately) or am I as well stick to the ICE for another couple of years until the BEV supply settles down?

  • Registered Users Posts: 31,501 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

    tbh, it sounds like you'd save a fortune if you just held on to your current car in Jan.

    EV prices at the minute are crazy, and supply is very low. It might be very hard to find the car you want.

    Are you looking to buy new? Since the sale of EVs/PHEVs picked up a lot in the last couple of years, these might be coming to the 2nd hand market in the next 12 - 18 months. If you don't do much mileage, but still want to go electric, might be worth hanging on until some more stock hits the market?

    (and thats not even mentioning a potential recession, which of course will change the dynamic around car sales).

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

    Yeah that's a fair summary allright. I'm looking at new allright, used prices are crazy too and for a BEV I'd just rather buy new. Current car is getting to that age where there's going to be things sorted that won't be cheap. Its a 7 year old C class and I was hoping to move it on while its still worth a bit.

    Concern for me is if I do nothing am I just delaying the inevitable in that I do need to change the car but the longer I wait to order the bigger the delay for it to arrive, I can't see the supply chain issues being fixed in a years time so do I bite the bullet and go PHEV/ICE now and then hope that when my PCP is up that I can get a BEV handy enough at that point.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭fafy

    For new EV’s, I don’t see anything changing inside the next 18 months minimum, and more likely to be in 2024, so if you can wait for a new EV, with plenty of choice and quicker lead times, for what is very likely to be 2 years from now, for new cars.

    However, a significant factor in used EV’s next year, will be a large quantity of used ID 3’s coming onto the market from the last quarter of 2023. The bulk of these were sold on PCP, and many are 3 year agreements, so will start expiring from September 2023 onwards, unless the owners keep them.

    350 ‘ish ID 3’s were sold in the last few months of the launch year 2020, and i’d guess most of these are PCP as there was an attractive 0% deal on them at the time, and another 600 were sold Jan to June 2021, so thats a potential of up to 1,000 ID3’s coming onto the used market between late next year and mid 2023. Assuming most of these are PCP, and only half the owners keep them, then thats a significant amount of used ID3’s which should calm pricing on these.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

    Yeah it certainly seems that way. Looks like my only options in the short term are an XC40 recharge or Polestar 2 if it want it in January and both of those are fairly pricey when you spec them up a bit.

    ID3 is too small for our needs so we won't benefit from 2nd hand models becoming available in late 2023. Its a bit of a mad situation at the minute in the EV market as far as I can see. Seems like if you didn't strike at the right time with the ID4, Enyaq or EV6 you're going to pay an extra 8-10k to get the same car as someone else and wait a year for the privilege too. I wonder will the budget change anything but for now we're starting to look at ICE or PHEVs when our usage seems ideal for EV. Frustrating for everyone I suppose.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭Old diesel

    This is well worth a read.

    Looks like the supply situation should improve.

    Also all ID4s sold in US are made in Germany at the moment but reportedly production at VWs US plant is due to start later this year.

    Meaning more availability for Europe out of Germany.