Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bird is this

Options
  • 16-06-2022 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭

There are hundreds of these birds around our house at the minute. Place is covered in their crap and they make a racket the roof.

But not a problem. I don't know what they are, but this one unfortunately has died.

Can you tell me what these are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Juvenile starling

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭bb12

they make a right racket after they've fledged. i think they're all learning to fly in a group and once they have those skills down, they usually feck off for the rest of the summer only to return in winter where the murmurs are nice to see. at least that's how they behave around my place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

female blackbird ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No, definitely starling, the position of the eyes compared to the beak and the beak itself are different in blackbirds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but it doesn't have the shiny plumage? - a juvenile starling?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Juvenile, yes.

@fryup

Female blackbird

vs.

Juvenile starling:

The way I see it is that the starling has a smaller eye and the beak "line" is parallel to the middle of the eye itself, the whole head is "pointier" than that of a blackbird.

The blackbird's eye looks bigger and the beak "line" runs under the eye, and the whole head is "rounder".

Not sure if that makes sense to other people, but it does in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Just piggy-backing on this one OP

Taken 04/21 - No obvious cause of death and the two together was a bit strange. Looks similar to @New Home's 2nd pic ^ - and on that, the beak on that fella is way smaller than the OP's pic

Breast is way brighter on these two

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Looks like them alright. I did check the window for tell-tale signs of a crash (pigeons I know, leave a perfect outline on the window) but nothing in this case.

Case solved in 3 mins flat!

• Advertisement
Advertisement