Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion

Options
  • 16-06-2022 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭

Hi

I always use the oil boiler to heat water, but its broke so have to use Immersion to heat water until the boiler is fixed

I essentially never use the immersion, so have no real knowledge of it. its about 15 years old.

If I was to turn it on in morning for 1-2 hours at 7am or so (on cheaper electricity), would this give enough hot water for the day and would it keep the water hot for showers at 8/9pm ?

Or would I essentially need to turn it on again at 7pm for an hour to give enough hot water for showers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭blackbox

Most likely you'll need to give it a boost before showering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,291 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Suck it and see, as they say.. thickness of lagging on cylinder will have an effect.

You could do a cost comparison as well. Heating with oil boiler in summer might be costing you more than immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

I paid 140C/liter for oil, last fill in March. If you allow ~ 70% boiler efficiency on HW heating only, then the cost becomes 19.4C/kwh, so if cylinder will last for the day then "1/2" price electric heating cheapest by a mile.

A standard 120L cylinder heated to 60C will give over 200L of hot water at 40C, and pro rata for bigger cylinders.

Advertisement