Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ETF's - Anyone care to recommend / suggest some available on Degiro please?

• 15-06-2022 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend me some Accumulating ETF's that are available to purchase on Degiro, please?

I am aware of the tax situation regards these, have been looking into it and am still in the process but I reckon I'll be able to calculate it myself from what I have read. I'm also aware that the tax treatment isn't considered very efficient and the fact you can't offset losses against gains in other ETF's etc... But I still want to invest in 2 or 3 of them and just leave there long term.

I was hoping to purchase some Vanguard ones, and had a couple picked out but from researching I believe I can't buy these as they are all US domiciled and not available to buy on European platforms.

So my understanding is as Us domiciled ones are out of bounds, my only option is to purchase Euro or Ireland domiciled ETF's in Euro currency but that these Euro based ETF's cover the US Index's and US markets.?

I'd appreciate some recommendations / suggestions that covers the general area's of the below and must be on Degiro. I'm mainly interested in the Index tracker type ETF's.

Total world

US S+P 500

Emerging markets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Layne

I am in a similar stage to yourself and have been doing as much research as I can get my tiny brain around.

I reckon the Vanguard S&P 500 ETFs are the way to go. They have a very low fee of 0.07% is pretty much the lowest on the market. The Accumulating vs Distributing ETFs debate can be difficult. You are interested in accumulating ETFs which is much easier to manage imo as the dividends are reinvested automatically saving you the bother of doing tax calculation every time you get a dividend payment.

The most popular of the Vanguard ETFs is VUSA which I am pretty sure is distributing. The accumulating equivalent is VUAA which is the one I am planning to use. Other plusses of VUAA are that it traded in Euros meaning that there are no currency exchange fees to worry about.

I am on T212 so cannot see what is available on Degiro but I reckon you cannot go too far wrong with VUAA if it is available. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BishopBrennen

I just checked now and VUAA is indeed available on Degiro. It's on the following exchanges, XET Frankfurt €, MIL Italy € + LSE UK in US $. Is there any particular exchange I should be considering, probably Euro's to avoid the exchange fee benefit you mention? Why is the Uk LSE one in dollars?

Thanks for this suggestion as it sounds exactly like the type of one I'm looking for, I'll have a deeper look into it and see the pros / cons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

You're better off going with Investment trusts to avoid deemed disposal tax on ETF's. JPMorgan American Investment Trust PLC (JAM) tracks the S&P 500

JAM isn't available on Degiro, but thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it's worth setting up another platform account to get it. I remember reading before that IT's with their fee's / stamp duties / fund managers etc... can underperform an ETF over the long term even with the larger 41% tax than 33%. Although, I believe JAM out performed the VUSA over the past 5 yrs.?

Anyone know of any more ETF trackers worth looking into, not necessarily Vanguard but others too. ishares or such? Any that cover global markets, US stocks, emerging markets, etc...

Is there a European equivalent of all Vanguard US ETF's?

JAM is definitely on DEGIRO.

IWDA is another accumulating ETF worth looking at if you want global exposure. Free on DEGIRO.

• Advertisement

This is what I'm searching for on degiro and it doesn't come up. If you have degiro maybe you could double check in case it has been removed recently, degiro had removed a lot of IT's and then gradually relisted some months later.

EPIC: JAM ISIN: GB00BKZGVH64

Thanks for the IWDA suggestion, I found it on degiro all right. 2 options, Amsterdam EAM € or UK LSE $. Does it matter which exchange one buy's these on or the currency? Is € better to avoid exchange fees as mentioned above? All the individual shares I've bought are on the US exchanges and in $.

IWDA trades and is quoted in EUR in Amsterdam, and in USD in London, so when you take USD/EUR forex into account, the prices of these two ETF versions are the same.

Assuming that you currently hold Euros, I would imagine that buying the Euro-traded one might be more efficient for you.

There seems to be little interest on this forum but I'll continue my thread anyway as it may help others of a similar inkling. :) I'm still researching these but here's my shortlist of available (All are Accumulating) ETF's.

Would anyone care to discuss the above ETF's and thoughts on the best 2 or 3 from the list for long term regular purchasing + holding long term 15+ yrs. These cover all world, Emerging markets, S+P 500. What would be a good pick of 3 for good diversification, etc..

VUAA S+P 500

VWCE / VWRA / VWRP (FTSE All World) I think these are the same funds just in different currency's. (VWRA Domiciled in Ireland.)

IWDA ishares Blackrock global exposure world

CSPX (Blackrocks equivalant of VUSA apparently)

CSSPX ishares Blackrock S+P 500

IE00BFNM3P36 ishares Blackrock (AYEM / SAEM) Emerging markets

IE00BKM4GZ66 (IS3N / EIMI / EMIM) ishares Blackrock Tracking the MSCI Emerging markets index.

VHYG High yield Acc. (Domiciled in Ireland) $

VHVG Developed stocks largest in developed world. (Domiciled in Ireland) $

VFEG Emerging World (Domiciled in Ireland) $

VUAG S+P 500 (Domiciled in Ireland) $

Would anyone care to discuss the above ETF's and thoughts on the best 2 or 3 from the list for long term regular purchasing + holding long term 15+ yrs. These cover all world, Emerging markets, S+P 500. What would be a good pick of 3 for good diversification, etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

@BishopBrennen Not a dig but I don't know if your question can be answered easily and to my mind it really depends on your own view of the world.

If you pick an All World ETF, I think you are diversified enough.

If you pick an S&P 500 Index, a lot of people would say that it is diversified enough too - it doesn't cover the world but it covers the biggest companies in the index who themselves are global companies.

My view would be to pick one index, which is diversified enough for you, and then just invest in that one index. Personably, I use VMCE - All World.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

How do you find JAM on degiro? Doesn’t seem come up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 c_donno

@BishopBrennen you have done plenty of reading by the looks of things! I am in the same boat, looking for a diversified ETF to sit on. VFEG is 30% Chinese and Alibaba sits high on the list, listening to David Mc Williams yesterday he was saying that the GDP figures out in China makes it look like they are in recession already. Alibaba are also in the news a lot over that data leak. May be worth sitting on that one for another few weeks and keeping an eye on it. THe charts on all of the other S&P ones are trending downwards too. Are you planning on DCA into these funds over the long term?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭bemak

JAM was on degiro - had been buying a bit, but now we can no longer add to it for some reason. any handy ways of accessing JAM instead?

Apparently JAM is gone from Degiro, I read other folk say this has happened before at the start of a year on Degiro and it's made it's way back but could be gone for good now. I read it can be still bought on Trading212

Advertisement