Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*SINGLE ATTENDEE* - HOW MUCH/WHAT DO I GIVE AS A WEDDING PRESENT (2022 EDITION) READ POST #1 FIRST

• 14-06-2022 2:33pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

As you may be aware, we've tried to do a yearly poll about wedding gifts, but we haven't updated in some time. With the move to Vanilla, we're restricted to 10 poll options per poll, so I've broken this updated thread into a *Single Attendee* poll and a *Couples* poll.

***This is the Single Attendee poll thread!***

The previous poll is here (click).

Same rules apply as in previous years:

Vote on the poll and/or comment on the thread with what/how much you give on average. That's it, no opinions on what should or shouldn't be given, what is the "norm", what's stingey or what's over the top.

Here's an example of the type of answer that's ok:

"If going as a couple we give €100, but if it's a close family member we give €200. When we got married, the average cash gift we got was about €150."

Here's an example of the type of answers that are not ok and will get you either infracted, or banned from the forum:

"I always give at least €250 when I go to a wedding. If it was a sibling or close family member, I'd give €500. IMO this is the absolute least that anyone should give. People who give less than this are just scabby and shouldn't bother coming to the wedding at all if they can't afford to bring a decent present. Everyone should cover their plate and then extra so the bride and groom aren't in debt after the big day."

or

"I usually give an argos value range toaster or else €20 in a card. I'm not going to line their pockets just because they're throwing an overpriced party. They should just be grateful I'm there at all, I hate weddings. If they think they can cover the cost of the wedding with gifts they've got another think coming. Greedy feckers."

We'd ask that posters give this a go and adhere to the above, this way it will be much easier for people looking for advice to work out what the average gift is, and then use that as a jumping off point to decide what they want to give. It can be very hard for a poster to get a straight answer when they've got to wade through 5 pages of arguing to try and find figures.

If anyone has any questions, just drop Toots or Faith a PM

Thanks guys!

*SINGLE ATTENDEE* - HOW MUCH/WHAT DO I GIVE AS A WEDDING PRESENT (2022 EDITION) READ POST #1 FIRST 31 votes

Friend/extended family: €50 -€100
    16%
    harrlulumooFoggy JewBe right backmidnightblue 5 votes
    Friend/extended family: €100 - €200
    35%
    BangBeaterCitygirl1ShlipperywaterfordgirlBosupedobman88Patsy167Martina1991PT299122Diamonds22Jevie2019 11 votes
    Friend/extended family: €200+
    0%
    Friend/extended family: Non-cash gift
    0%
    Immediate/close family/friend: €50 -€100
    6%
    JayRocDeja Boo 2 votes
    Immediate/close family/friend: €100 - €200
    32%
    raheny redrainbowtroutLizTGael23millhousegirlsully123gracemarieZenifyOnthefenceHFC 10 votes
    Immediate/close family/friend: €200+
    9%
    MellorswededmonkeyCrazyEric 3 votes
    Immediate/close family/friend: Non-cash gift
    0%

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Because of the limitations with Vanilla, please feel free to post to ask specific questions that couldn't be covered in the poll, like what to give if the wedding is abroad, if you have to travel a significant distance, or if you've just been invited to the afters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Immediate/close family/friend: €100 - €200

How much would you give to a sibling?

Advertisement