Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish citizen- canadian birth cert- apostille?

Options
  • 14-06-2022 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi, I have tried searching but not having much luck - maybe someone here has knowledge of the process...

My daughter recently got engaged and is starting to plan her wedding, but I thought I read somewhere on this forum that she would need to get an apostille stamp on her birth cert as she is Irish because of her dad, but was born in Canada. It doesn't mention it on the HSE site where it tells you what you need to get married.

Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Canada isn't signed up to the Hague Convention/apostille system, so I think it would have to be certified another way.

She has ages yet, as no date booked, but thought it would be handy to get ahead of things as she also still needs to sort out her Irish passport so she could be without her birth cert for a good while with all the backlogs.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

Similar situation, I have dual citizenship but born in canada, got married in Ireland about 5 years ago. I had to get the apostle stamp on my birth cert. I went to the Canadian embassy in Dublin and had it done there. The problem I had was that I only had a Birth cert card, so had to get apply for a long cert type birth cert and then get it stamped, no real issue just took a little time and money as Canada loves to charge

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭twiglet24

Thank you so much! I hadn’t realised that it could be done here at the embassy!

Advertisement