Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DP World tour

Options
  • 13-06-2022 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Know absolutely nothing about rules of Golf etc but I sww much media coverage of a tournament in Sweden which had men and women equally competed and was easily won by a woman. If all things were equal regarding rules etc it was fantastic performance by her and opens up the game for mixed tournaments in the future. Can someone please clarify if it was the case

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

pretty sure she play off different tees.

I'd love to see much more mixing of the genders in golf competitions. But at the same time, I'm not sure it really works that they play off different tees. Some weeks it will favour the men, others the women. It's all well and good saying it will balance out over the season, but if it's your national open or something you want a fair chance of winning it.

At club level though I'd love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭big_drive

The women played off their own tees. But from the parts of it I watched it then meant all players (male & female) were playing their approach shots roughly from same distance, her performance was fairly impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭me89

Watched some of it the weekend, the women's tees were much further forward, for example one par 3 was playing 218 yards for the men and 155 yards for the women.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

We had an issue in my previous club. At the time, there was only one female member and she was allowed to compete in men's competitions. She'd won multiple medals playing off the regular ladies tees while everyone else was pushed back to the tips. This had a particular advantage on par 3's as it took a lot of water out of play, whereas everyone else would have to carry 180 - 200 yards. Not always that easy if the wind is blowing in your face. Arguments had been put forward to level the playing field by moving her back to society tees, but nothing was done and there were quite a few disgruntled members who'd be done out of first place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Id imagine its easier at a club level as if you were to play them off the further back tees their handicaps will get adjusted overtime and this should level the playing field out a bit. But then you would get people complaining of the high handicaps. id imagine if they were a handicap of 20 on the ladies tees they would be at least another 10 shots off the back tees. Some Par 5's for them will come Par 4's also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

It was a freakishly brilliant performance by your wan at the weekend. That she finished 14 shots ahead of the next best woman says it all. The top ten was all men bar her so it could be argued it was stacked in favour of the men. From watching it looked like her short game and putting was better than any man. Highlights well worth a watch if you ever want to see a player in the zone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Agreed, you still have to get it onto the green and into the hole and she was on fire.

Re different tees, impossible to get it right, Tiger had huge distance advantage over likes of Zach Johnson but didn't stop Zach popping a few Majors

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

In my opinion, the description of this as historic is a bit of an overreaction. Yes, she won a mixed tournament, but how many mixed tournaments have there been on the European Tour/DP World Tour before? I can only think of the one recently held in Australia, but I could be wrong. She played off different tees to the men.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭CSWS101

She finished 14 shots better than the next women, which is pretty fckin nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

if LIV really want to shake the game up they have a great opportunity and invite ladies to compete and they could play all sorts of different games over the course of a weekend. Ladies singles, mens singles, team events and even a mixed foresomes.

play their 3 days singles, separate comp for the ladies to ensure fairness, same prize money. Each team has 2 ladies and 2 men. Then a 4th day is a mixed foresomes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

They've missed so many opportunities to shake things up with this thing that it's not funny.

Greg obviously still has an unresolved gripe with the PGA Tour, that the Saudis are willing to back him blindly is a little surprising, but they're obviously deferring to him on all things golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jaysis - of all things LIV will be doing, female players is something in a far, far distance

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Maybe.

but it would be one way for them to put their money where their mouth is

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Aren't the Saudis already one of the biggest sponsors of women's golf so it might not be that far away.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement