Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 275

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not a fight night but no thread for 275.

My boy Josh Culibao just out in a stellar performance and nearly got robbed by a judge going the other way. No bias at all here, was a clear as day fight

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

created a thread to avoid posts going where they shouldnt…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

This main event is an absolute dogfight. Glover is so tough.

I have him up 29-28 going into the 4th but he’s hurting.

Great 4th round from GT. Jiri needs the finish.

Did not see that finish coming. Totally against the run of play in that round and over the fight as a whole.

So disappointed for GT but well done to Jiri. Showed his mettle again tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

What an own goal by Glover. The fight was his....

Jiri will need a better fitness trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Remember when these threads were hopping? (Even pre McGregor)

My god Zhang’s performance was good but I think it might be a bit of a false result as Joanna really hasn’t impressed me at all the last few years (bar their last scrap obviously)

Just looked to have stalled a bit in her career anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

She’s called it a day after that one.

Was a good event, good fights, some good finishes. A few crazy judges

• Registered Users Posts: 20,554 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The LHW stander is no where near what it once was

JJ or DC wreck both of the lads from Saturday night with ease

I just realised i was actually at Glover's UFC debut in 2012

Jesus Christ that was a great main event but Teixeira absolutely threw that one away. Multiple times as well.

Is there a reason why fighters so rarely attach the back/side with strikes on the ground? I know it's not as simple as it looks but when you're in side control surely unloading some knees to the ribs is an excellent option. Similarly fights will spend 3 minutes trying to move someone who's pretty much stuck with the entire upper body exposed. Off the top of my head I don't think spine strikes are allowed but ribs, kidneys, etc are just right there.

The other thing is that the commentary is just beyond brutal. People make mistakes but Jesus it's always hilarious with 3 experts watching "He's fine... he's fine..." and he gets up and walks away with the win. Put me in mind of Khabib/McGregor. Aside from mistakes though the standard is absolutely brutal. Matthews and Fialho were almost head to head throwing massive haymakers (and some connecting) and DC is shiting on about tactics. Another time someone was on top raining down and looking for the finish and they're talking about a missed take down in the previous round. DC especially is woeful and still hasn't improved, waffling nonsense. Bisping I wasn't hugely fond of on commentary to begin with but he's just regressed further. The other lad pretty much just reads the scripted bit aside from joining in on the "banter". Especially in the main event there was (for me) for once some interesting grappling and I was able to follow it waaaay more than I usually can, likely because the guys were completely gassed so it was more obvious than usual to me but there was barely a word on commentary about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

It was a tremendous scrap but Glover really threw it away with that slip up. But it happens, and to be fair Jiri understands that as well and was perfectly humble in victory and acknowledged his performance could have been better.

Who will he fight next. I would genuinely like to see a rematch, I'd be happy for Jiri to prove he's the better fighter or for Glover to prove that it was indeed his belt all along.

Failing that Jan v Jiri would be an amazing fight too.

Cannot see Carla beating Weili in any dimension but I suppose stranger things have happened. Would look forward to that too.

Advertisement