Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New phone transfer from old phone

• 11-06-2022 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

What's the best way to get a new phone as close as possible to an old phone in terms of settings.

Does Google backup cover everything?

Would there be any advantage in staying with the same make? Current phone is a Motorola who have/had a migration app.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Last couple of times I've changed phones I've used Google Backup and additionally used WhatsApp Backup and also SMS Backup & Restore, between the 3 of them I had everything I required.

It's a good idea to take screengrabs or notes of the apps on the homescreens if you want to move the apps around on the new phone to be in the order they are with current phone...a little pedantic but you might like things in a certain order.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I had two Samsungs and used a recommended app called 'Smart Switch'. Very straightforward. I don't know does it work with other makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Did you use wireless or cable? I can't use cable as the USB port on my old phone is damaged. Can't get wireless connection working. Both phones on the same wifi network. Tried a different network with no luck.

Did it move your apps? Would like to keep an app no longer available for download.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I just put the phones side by side. I think it used wireless, though it's possible there was a bluetooth option. It transferred everything as far as I can see. Lost some older whatsapp messages and the like, but I never backed them up anyway, so that may have been my fault.

Transferred all contacts etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

• Advertisement
Advertisement