Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freesat channels to DVB-T?

• 11-06-2022 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭

Might be a stupid question but here goes.

I have saorview and Freesat combined on 2 satelite cables down to my living room, one goes into my zgemma satellite receiver which supports saorview and Freesat, and the other cable is going into an android box tuner which only supports DVB-T and is only picking up the saorview channels.

There’s no RF out on the back of the satellite receiver but i was wondering is there a way of converting the DVB-S signal on the cable going to the android box so it’ll receive both saorview and Freesat?

ive seen a few bits online like modulators but unsure whether these will work or is it just impossible? Mainly all ive found are hdmi modulators but isn’t that just duplicating the channel you’re on from the satellite box rather than giving you all the channels on a different box.

Hope this was clear.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

If I understand you right, you cant do what you want. A satellite box sends control signals up to the dish LNB when it switches channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Have a look for transmodulators. They typically convert the stations on a transponder to a VHF/UHF channel so they can be picked up like a regular Saorview station on your TV.

They are expensive and used mainly in the likes of hotels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Spook80

Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling it was ambitious. I’m happy enough with the setup. So it doesn’t make a difference that this is a separate cable and wouldn’t going through the satellite box at all? The satellite box has one cable from LNB with saorview linked in and this is a separate cable from dish which also has saorview linked in.

Will do thanks. I seen a few potentials but unsure of risking it unless i can return if it doesn’t work.

This is one i saw as it has an input and output but unsure whether it’ll do what I’d want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

That's one of those HDMI to RF (DVB-T) modulators you mentioned in your first post, simply converts the HDMI output of a box to a DVB-T RF channel. My brother uses a similar Technomate to feed a remotely located SkyQ receiver to feed the output around the house on co-ax.

As posted above you require a transmodulator from DVB-S/S2 to DVB-T.

Yeah i had a feeling that’s what it did i guess i was just hoping. Thanks for the reply i think I’ll work on something else and wait for transmodulators to go down a lot in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Replacing the android box with a combo seems to be the cheapest / easiest solution.

I get ya and you’re right. To be honest its not really a problem I’m trying to solve i have the zgemma combo box with Freesat and saorview downstairs and i have nvidia shield upstairs. I use Plex for most of my tv watching upstairs and have everything saved to a NAS. Saorview is on Plex and records perfectly to a NAS so its more of a want than a need. There’ll more than likely be an all in one box soon enough that’ll support both dvb-s and dvt-t with plex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Cheapest solution is to use an old satellite box like a zgemma H2S as a network tuner and send the tuners to the android box using satip or enigma2.

The zgemma you have may already be able to do this. What model is it and what firmware is on it?

There's several threads on here about that kind of setup and a lot of people use android boxes or firesticks with no tuners at all in them.

Thanks yeah that actually does look like the best idea. Just seen a few youtube vids of installing it on kodi. I’ve only got the zgemma box a week so still getting used to it but its the H7S and not actually sure what firmware it is from the information menu. It has v3.1 at the bottom of the screen?

The H7S should be great.

Is there an image when you start it up?

Try putting dreamplayer on the android box. It'll scan the network to see if there's a compatible device.

There’s a big blue screen with “Open Vix” and “world of satellite” in the corner.

Thanks so much i just checked and that’s amazing, worked straight away.

Bit of learning and setting up to due on the zgemma with regards how to make favourites to sort out the mess of a guide but that’s brilliant.

Excellent It'll also have both satellite and saorview on that.

Might be worth putting the sat cable from the android box I to the zgemma too. Easier to record if you've more tuners available.

If dreamplayer did the trick for you you can set it to work as "live channels" on Android TV. That might make your remote easier to manage.

Worked out great. Very new to android boxes as used Apple TV for years but that dream player works great and has my recordings from the zgemma. The only i was using the vbox was to put the channels on plex but that’s kinda redundant now so might just leave it unplugged. I’ll give it a few days and see which works best. Thanks a lot.

Advertisement