Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donating / recycling / upcycling clothes hangers

Options
  • 11-06-2022 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi there,

Not sure best place to post this but at the end of a huge clear out of an old property. Nearly everything has been donated to charity but the very last things to go are a load of old clothes hangers.

I’ve tried a couple of charity shops who have no need for them. I really want to avoid dumping stuff as much as possible but I’m at a loss as to what to do with them.

If anyone has any idea where they would definitely be needed or how to give them a second life, I’m all ears.

Thanks,

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,364 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Plastic, wire or wood? Sounds like they will have to go into general refuse (aka the black bin) because if the plastic ones are as old as I suspect, they won't have a recycling symbol.

Surprised you tried it on with some charity shops, they refuse a lot more than old clothes hangers. Brown furniture or anything electrical for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭MacDanger

According to this you can recycle them (although only metal/plastic hangers are mentioned):

Clothes hangers - mywaste My Waste

• Registered Users Posts: 25,364 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I wouldn't be so sure. Consult your bin company before stuffing their green bin full of old hangers.

Greyhound say that you cannot put metal in any of their bins. I assume that all of the OP's hangers have a metal hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭unimaginativeusername

I don’t really know what you mean or are implying with “tried it on with some charity shops”? I rang two to see if they would be of any use to them, they said they wouldn’t, so I am looking for alternatives before giving up and binning them.

When you research what to do with old hangers, many sites including MyWaste.ie suggest donating to charity shops.

Advertisement