Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three main religions now mapped for all surnames

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Great work, Barry.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thank you for your work on this, Barry.

One of the many unsung online heroes for Irish genealogy and history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

Amazing work

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

He's not totally unsung. I mentioned him on my Facebook page a couple of weeks ago! 😀

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Fascinating and great work, I've a very irish surname and surprised it came 186th in the popularity ranking, Murphy being No 1.

Originally born in Dublin, brought up in state care, I've no knowledge of family, despite having 13 brothers and sisters. (Doing some research at present)

Ironically I purchased a cottage outside Dublin 20 years ago, Midlands and suddenly discovered I'm surrounded by people with my surname and surrounding counties full of families with my surname, there's even Pub near me, named after me 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kalimah

My married name is 7449th in Ireland in 1901. My maiden name is 836th! Makes it very easy to trace all the ancestors.

Incredible work Barry!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Timfy

Currently working through my wife's maternal branch - shouldn't take long!

"There were 13 with this surname in Ireland in 1901. The surname is ranked 12743rd in Ireland in the same year"

BTW, Great work there Barry, thanks for the resource.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Checked my McGoona relatives;

1901 - 14 people (12198 th)

1911 - 15 people (11310 th)

I knew the rarity but decided to check anyway for fun

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

This is just fascinating. Thank you for your trojan work Barry. My parents' names aren't Irish so pretty low numbers.

1901     265       2103rd

1911     254       2153rd

1901     3962     224th

1911     3926     228th

When I entered my GGG-Grandfather's name there were only 21 (9692nd) in 1901 and 11 (13573rd) in 1911

So as if I didn't already know, we're blow-ins!

• Advertisement
Advertisement