Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rolex Query/Help

• 11-06-2022 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have the opportunity to buy a 2019 Rolex oyster perpetual submariner date, black dial with ceramic bezel.

I’ve no concerns over its authenticity and it’s in perfect nick with box and papers but I’m struggling to find sites to check if the price is reasonable.

I’d appreciate advice from the more knowledgeable on here as to what the market value for such a watch would be.

Any pointers appreciated

Thanks

TbL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s a falling market. Asking price seems to be 12-13k. Asking being different to selling. Seller have not yet adjusted to the falling market. Buyers have (and are not buying in the same numbers).

A good price today might be expensive in 2 months time.

Chrono 24 will give you an idea. General rule of thumb would be to sort by location to europe. Look for the lowest value ones and then loop off another 10-20 percent for private sale value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭banie01

893's advice is spot on. You could also take a look at watchrecon.com or watchcharts com too.

Watch recon is a favourite of mine as it generally does a good trawl of main watch sites. I'd also warn that if any US/Non EU prices catch your eye? Remember you will need to add 23% to the landed price here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I would pay 10k all day for it .

If your happy enough re the watch itself it will always be worth that kind of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thanks guys.

Really helpful and appreciate the advice

The seller paid 15k for it (which I have independently verified together with its authenticity.

He wants to recoup as much of that as possible as he’s buying another Rolex.

TbL

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Do not pay anywhere near 15k for a sub...that was top of the market pricing. I would be thinking 10-11k at the moment and in 6 months coulb be back to retail on second hand ones....2019 is old model too the 40mm one, they fetch a little less than the new 41mm ones.

Market is in freefall although it yet to really hit the asking prices....The easiest way to know is go to the watchfinder website, and try to sell them the same watch. The price they will pay is the private sale price really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭scwazrh

At €10 or €11k you’ll be safe if your going to keep it for a few years . Most sellers will think it’s a 13/14k watch but they’ll be waiting to get it.

As others have said the market is going downhill and most likely will gain some speed in its decline over the coming weeks and months .I wouldn’t buy a Rolex at the moment if you are concerned about holding values .

Thanks everyone.

I’ll give it a pass unless he considerably drops the asking.

You’ve probably saved me making a mistake

🙏🙏🙏

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

And if he’s trying to recoup as much as possible to buy another Rolex, presumably the one he’s looking at buying has gone down by a similar percent too.

• Advertisement

Where did he buy the watch originally out of curiosity?

One of the most expensive places in Ireland. A private seller can’t buy from a dealer and expect to recoup most of their money in this market. That was ok for the last two years in the rising market. Buy from a dealer and wear for 12 months and get your money back and then some.

Different gravy on the way it seems.

Advertisement